Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Another first


Tonight I did a big thing. I had my first dinner out alone as a widow. I went to one of those all-you-can-eat places and it was kind of fun. I did imagine that everyone was watching me, though. It was as if I had a spotlight on me. It did make me mind my manners! LOL!

I've been feeling lots better this week, plowing through things that I need to do. Today I wrote a pre-trip checklist. I went to get my signature notarized on an important document and got it sent back to my financial wizard. I went walking with Maddy on the Clear Creek Trail. I got some email cleared out.

Oh, and I got the gate fixed! Ann gave me the name of a company in Plainfield who had done work for her sister in-law. He came, he saw, he fixed! And now the gate works swimmingly. Trevis was full of praise for Michael and how well he had kept the thing going all these years. I was very proud. He also showed me how to lubricate the parts that need to be lubed every 6 months, and so I can theoretically do that myself now. I think that I really could do it, too.

6 comments:

  1. Janee, I am sure you could do that lubrication. I'm convinced that there isn't much of anything you CAN'T do. I'm so proud of you for how you are handling all these "firsts". The dinner out alone is definitely a big thing.

    Sending hugs.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sis. Wow, I am very proud of you and how you are getting through these days. I don't think I could do the dinner out alone thing at all.

    I am glad you got the gate fixed...a bit more secure especially for when you are out of town.

    See you Sunday. Love, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great strides Janee. If positions had been reversed I believe I would be doing much more roller-coasting. But I've always known that most women have incredible strengths.

    Best wishes,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janee, I will be thinking of you and Michael at the memorial service on Sunday, I guess it will be about 8 p.m. in England. Don't worry too much about how it will go, the people are there to support you and show their love for you and Michael, not to judge.

    Glad to see you are doing things you didn't think you could face - remember there are lots of people who are willing to help when you need it and will help you get your thoughts together.

    You will probably find you still hit the bottom of the 'roller-coaster' in weeks to come. It's natural, small problems will seem large, little things will make you annoyed. But gradually things will feel better and you will be able to think of Michael with warm, happy feeling and remember how lucky you both were to spend your time together.

    Love to you all

    Mick (Dusty)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just googling how to do something in photoshop and suddenly I'm reading about your life and all you've been going through in the last few weeks. WOW! All I can say is God is faithful and I believe He will carry you through this time. He already is. My husband was a widower when we met and I know he was still grieving when we met, but I'm a witness that prayer changes things and life does go on if you let it. And from where I can see, you are indeed embracing life and moving forward. Congratulations on your first big step...eating dinner alone. But I have a feeling, Michael was sitting with you admiring your strength and your courage to continue on without him. May God continue to bless you in your healing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis:

    The memorial service was great, just as I knew it would be. You are an amazing person! I was so proud to go through the crowd and tell people that I not only knew Michael, but I was YOUR sister! :)

    I am glad we could help a little with your stuff for the trip yesterday, too. Thanks again for all the stuff from the garage (my car still has a slight smell of oil today!)...Steve was in heaven in there digging around.

    I will give you a call either today or tomorrow...Steve mentioned something about cleaning the garage out for you and brining a burn barrel (not sure you want to do that, but it might be the best way to go for the papers).

    Chat with you soon. Love you! Sis.

    ReplyDelete