Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Busy Wednesday

This is a yellow rose from Austin, Texas.

Today was insanely busy, but in a good way. I slept in a little later than I had wanted, spent a bit less time on the Wii than I wanted, and got no breakfast.

Then I drove down to get Jack and then to his Mom's, where we took her toy poodle Jill to get groomed. While the doggy was at the groomers, we ran a few errands with Mary, did a bit of fun shopping, and then took her to the Chinese buffet, which we all loved.

Jill did great at the groomer's much to Mary's delight. The last groomer had cut the dog and then blamed her (the dog) for it. This didn't go over well with Mary. So now she has a new groomer, and Jill seemed delighted with the whole thing.

We got back to Far Horizons in time to meet with George about the cottage. I have still not ordered it, but we did discuss some options, and so I'm closer. I have decided on a floorplan, anyway. With 400 sq feet to work within, there are not just a million choices, but the one that I've picked seems to be workable and I think will be a fun place to spend my winters. It has a loft which, while you can't stand up in it, can be used for a little TV room or an extra bedroom for my peeps back east to stay in when y'all visit!

I think that I'll go with stainless steel for the appliances, though I'm still tossing around the idea of using white or black... I just think that stainless looks so good. I'm going to have Corian, but I have not chosen the color. And I'm getting Craftsman style cabinets in ... either cherry or light maple. Tile floors, except for carpet in the bedroom. And I'll probably make it a dark-colored tile. Lightness is really not a problem down here, with all the sun we get!

I think that I'm going to have the shower plumbed, but nothing installed, and then Jack and I will put in a shower that's properly done... and tiled. There is a place where I can put in a flat-screen TV, and I'll do that, but not likely a huge one, since the room is just 12' long. ;)

I am not going to have window coverings installed in the living room, because I want to put in shades of my own choosing, probably ones just like I have in this cottage, the bottom-up, top-down kind.

I want to ask about having a French door put in, instead of the sliding door. I have to decide on exterior colors. And we still have to talk about lighting. I realize that this is nothing like all the decisions that face people who build real houses from scratch, but there are still many details to ponder. Exciting!

3 comments:

  1. And after all the decisions are made--wake up one morning and say I should have done it this way. Also I recommend you think about your furniture placement. Those french doors will open up into the room using some of your space. French doors are nice compared to a sliding door--- french doors look elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, they tell me that this French door will open out, so it won't take up any interior space. One of the doors will be fixed. I don't really have much living room furniture to consider. There's just a loveseat and a recliner chair and a little stool that serves triple-duty as an ottoman, a seat, and magazine storage. And I have two filing cabinets which serve double-duty as end tables!

    The loft area will do well for playing my keyboard, using my shredder, and keeping a futon which can be a relaxing area and a bed for sleepover guests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cool. Good luck on all the decisions. My in laws had a park model in Florida---they would rent an empty one when family came to see them. You know 400 square feet isn't much space and company might be worse than 3 day old fish.

    ReplyDelete