Thursday, December 09, 2010

Let's Sing

I've been singing! Choir practice at church is on Wednesday nights and practice for the Far Horizons choir is on Thursday mornings. Fun! I love to sing and it's going well.

The new Dance Dance Revolution is working well, with no problems. I really like the new version, with its fine new songs and the "Courses" and "Workouts" are great. I'm back to doing my Fitness Coach as well, and feel like I'm getting my muscles back to where they were. I am feeling like I'm losing some weight, but it's not showing on the scale yet or in my jeans, so it's just a mental thing at this point. LOL! Maybe I'm just feeling a bit deprived, since I'm not eating all the junk in the evenings anymore. My no-food-after-7:30 rule is working well.

Today a group of us went market prowling, beginning at the 17th Street Market downtown, and then going to Roma Imports an G&L Imports. These are all interesting places, with lots of really bizarre things available to buy. I got some herbal tea (I'm going to try to like tea, because I think that I should!) and a couple of other things.

The new cottage is ordered! I'm excited about this now and am ready to see it all come to fruition. When the dollars were figured up, I compromised on a few things, deciding, for example, that I'd hire the tiling installed locally, saving $1600, that I'd get a tile backsplash instead of Corian, saving $800, and that I'd get the standard cabinets instead of the upgrades, saving myself $3150. I ended up saving altogether enough to pay the sales tax!

I'm also ready to start getting THIS cottage ready to sell. I'm thinking that I should bite the bullet and put in new flooring. This carpet is gross. It could probably be cleaned, but it's too light in color for this town and will not hold up well for a new owner. The linoleum in the kitchen is really in need of new. There are holes in it where I took out the desk that i'd put in, more holes where the island used to be nailed down, and there are big black rings where my computer used to stand.

I think that, if I were to put in some good quality laminate flooring, perhaps a tile look-alike as I'd been considering for myself, I'd be out a couple of thousand bucks, but would likely sell the place faster. I really don't want someone looking at this one and thinking, "Well, we would have to put in a new floor..." and that's what they would be thinking if they looked at this. That and a new stain on the deck and clearing my junk out and running a dustcloth over everything, and it's ready to sell.

4 comments:

  1. Things are moving fast! How about getting a good carpet cleaner to come in and work miracles? Or include a flooring allowance instead of replacing it? Chances are if you put in tile, the buyer will want -- well, they will want whatever you didn't put in. Just a suggestion.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're saying, Lynell, but this floor is SO bad that I think that people would have a hard time looking past it at how nice the rest of the cottage is.

    As for wood vs. tile, whichever I get will be far superior to this carpet/linoleum combination. Tile is so Tucson and I think that a tile look will be a good bet. Have not decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janee, I put a great tile in my family room and it fools everyone into thinking it is stone. It is made by Mannington and is called Adura tile. It comes in 16" squares, but could also be cut into 4". It can be wither grouted or butted together. (I have mine grouted) It is never cold on bare feet, even in the depth of winter. I love it. It comes in many colors and styles. Check it out!
    Barb P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, I just went to the Mannington site and looked at these tiles! Wow! They're beautiful and really do look like stone. I like the idea of these because they won't crack or feel cold on bare feet. And I think I'd like them grouted. I'm thinking about doing this to my current cottage and then, when I see how good it looks, I can put it on the floor of my new one, too. I've ordered the new one with no floor covering, since I was planning to put "real" tile in. (reconsidering that now!)

    ReplyDelete