Sunday, August 26, 2007

Not a bad thing

No, it's not a bad thing. It's a real life thing. It's a challenging thing at times. It's exciting. It's boring. It's beautiful and it's ugly. But it's not a bad thing.

The fact is that each of us is going to die. And, unless we cheat by killing ourselves, we don't get to choose how we die. We can't choose when. And we can't always choose where.

Michael's brain tumor has given us a year together to travel, meet with friends, and get me used to the things that I'll have to do alone. We've had a chance to learn about each other, what we can do, and about our love. Is this bad? Not in my world!

"Bad" is when Mother Teresa writes that she has spent much of her life feeling unloved and unwanted. I will have the joy of knowing that Michael died loving me! What better gift could I have been given?? No, this is not bad.

This year together has been joyful in so many ways. I've learned that I'm stronger than I ever thought I was, and Michael's still here to appreciate that. The women who find their strength only after they are widowed don't get to share that with their husbands.

Michael is still alive to accept my thanks for all that he's done to make my life better after he dies. He is grateful to me now for caring for him, though what I do is small compared to all he's done for me. In this past year, we've done much of what we did in the previous 24: we've laughed and grinned, cried and frowned. Bad? Nope.

ooo

I'm feeling philosophical because one of our friends asked me if I'd read, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People."

We've decided that we are not going to pursue further chemotherapy options. The doctor and literature promise side effects but alleviating current symptoms or even shrinking the tumor are remote possibilities. We're going now for comfort and maximization of fun.

8 comments:

  1. Janee and Michael, such a wise decision. My love to you both. You are my heroes.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (sometime student) check in from time to time to see how it's going: not well, I see, but your spirit is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our love is with you.

    Bob and Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your strengths are amazing!!!
    Thought and prayers are with you both.. and as you said this is a path all of will eventually take....Peace

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sis -

    We really enjoyed our time with you two Saturday and I am so glad we made it down. I like this posting best of any you have ever written. You are both pretty amazing and although you try to push it off as "not that much compared to what Michael has done for you" it still is a lot!

    I am glad you both are able to find the good in this and that gives the rest of us assurance that, yes, things are going to be ok because love is there all around you both.

    Just remember, anytime, anywhere you are, you might have a small family, but we are family, and we are here.

    Love to you and M. Give yourselves hugs from Mooresville. Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have admired you as a teacher from the first class I took with you. And now I learn so much more from you. You are the bravest and most giving person. Your strenghth is amazing. You show us all how to live. Thank you for sharing. Your spirit is indominatable. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Michael.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janee, I don't know what to say. I am so very, very glad we met you last February. You have made a difference in my life and how I look at our future. I know we'll meet again. Our thoughts are with you both.

    Bob and Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janee, When I first discovered your web site and your wonderful art challenges and your wonderful PS tutorials, a couple of years ago, I left a comment something to the effect, "I want to be you."

    You sent me a personal response and invited me to join your community of artists.

    I thank you for that.

    I entered your art challenge maybe once or twice, I've lurked on your web community and it has inspired me to continue my online education.

    I will not pretend to know your pain, although I have lost friends and family to the same disease.

    I admire your talent. I admire your openness. I admire your giving spirit. I admire your strength.

    Know that you have touched many people in ways you may never know and that your light will shine not only on others, but will come back to shine on you and Michael as well. May there be guides to direct you and comfort you on this difficult journey. God bless you both.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete