Thursday, October 04, 2007

The end of one chapter

On Tuesday, 2 October, Michael died at home in my arms, with his sister, brother, and sister in-law right there, holding his hand. He had no discomfort or anxiety, and he slipped away gently.

He had lived for 13 1/2 months after the brain cancer was diagnosed. We did lots of fun traveling in that time, going to Tucson, to New England, to Colorado, and smaller trips to Louisville and Indianapolis. We were together almost exactly 26 years, and were married for nearly 25 of them.

Michael is being cremated and we're not having a funeral or visitation. Instead, we are going to have a memorial service at the Wegmiller Auditorium at the Bloomington (Indiana) Hospital at 2 pm on 21 October.

I'll be leaving right after that to drive my little Navion out to Tucson and I'm feeling very ready for that.

I'm doing well, and while I'm still sort of waiting for Michael to "get back," like he's at a meeting, I am feeling relieved because I don't have all the care-giving duties anymore. I'm feeling angry at the insurance people who couldn't get me set up with help with the care-giving (without filling out 20 pages of forms... like what makes them think that I would have time for that?). I should be grateful that they are giving me something to be angry at.

I'm joyful about the fact that we made it "till death do us part." I'm sad about Michael being gone, and I wish that I could get those last bedfast images out of my mind. I know that will happen eventually. I find that I talk to myself way too much! And I find that I stay up later than I used to.

Maddy and Eddie know that something's different, but they just can't put their paws on what it is. Actually, Maddy, who hardly ever jumps up on furniture anymore, put her paws up on her Daddy's bed on his last morning. Eddie got up on his bed and curled up at his feet, watching him breathe, but he was out of there when the company came. ;)

Here's a funny coincidence: when Michael was still doing pretty well, and we were talking about the future, I told him that when he died, I'd buy myself flowers every Tuesday. And then he died on Tuesday! I don't think he knew it was Tuesday, though.

I want to thank all of you who were so supportive of me through these past difficult months. It's you who've kept me going!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Janee,

    What a wonderful story of love and devotion. It was a joy and privilege to know you and Michael as a couple. We hope you will keep posting in your journal, and we wish you well in all you do in the next chapter of your life.

    Love and peace,

    Kathryn and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David and I feel sympathy and continued admiration for you and Michael. To have had twenty-five years with one you love is s great blessing. Take care of yourself, Janee, and post again soon.

    Love,
    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you and Michael and wishing you both peace. Janee, as I read your posts I think about your signature "always me" and know that is the truth and a gift--I hope and pray that you will never change. You are so very special just the way you are. Your love, kindness, strength, honesty, courage and devotion are amazing. Take care of yourself and keep posting.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete