Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hunting & Gathering

Something funny happened to me today. Usually I have been staying up till after midnight (doing email, myspace, and writing in this blog), and then sleeping till about 8. Well, last night, I went to bed at 10 and then got up when it was still a bit dark -- before 7! I showered and ate and then got my jacket and headed out for a hunting & gathering mission.

I drove to the mall, parked, and went in. The stores were .. closed! I looked at my watch and was amazed to see that it was just 9:15! I know that, in real life, this is late. I know that, in a past life, I was teaching my 2nd period math class by 9:15.

I left and went to KMart, picking up a couple of things on my list, before heading back to the mall. I parked at the other end of the mall, and Dillards was open by the time I got there. I found what I was looking for, too -- a neat shawl for my shoulders for New Year's Eve. I have ... several... such wraps in Bloomington, but they don't do me much good here!

I also went to the Ann Taylor Loft, and found a cute top for New Year's. If I think of it, I'll have someone take a picture of me in my new duds.

I went to the Verizon store, to plead my case for the $250 in overages, during the month that Michael died. The guy was sympathetic, but not helpful. They were unable to reverse those charges, he said, because that month had passed. I explained how it was impossible for me to deal with things like how many minutes I'd used on my phone, when I was so busy taking care of my dying husband. I cried. He was unmoved. :/

I went to Office Depot and bought a write-on calendar for my fridge. It has purple accents which actually look good in the room. Have I mentioned yet today how much I love this cottage?

I went yesterday and looked at some tiles. I'll show you what I choose, but for now, suffice to say that there is a large variety of tile from which I'll be selecting! I'm going to tile the floor of my patio first, then the walls.

I talked to a young woman named Rouge, who assured me that I can do this myself. She told me to procure a tile saw from Home Depot, and I'm on my way! I guess I need to measure next. Well.. the concrete has to dry out first, and it's doing that right now. I get to move my RV back to its new pad on Monday or Tuesday.

The day was a little warmer than it has been, with a high of 54°. It's still 9° cooler than normal for this time of year, and it was a bit windy too.

Jack and Kathy didn't get back today as planned. Instead they will be back tomorrow. Their cats are doing great, and seem to enjoy my visits. The awning guy didn't come today, either.

3 comments:

  1. There is something to be said for waking up early and watching the sunrise. Its the greatest! If ya sleep in till 8 your missing out on alot. *S* Yea sure they say its
    easy to "do it yourself" LOL!!
    good luck! Course it is true you are a pretty talented person so ya just might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tile saw? Electric or hand driven? If electric, does it have a water cooler? And if it is electric with a water cooled system, how big will the storage shed be that you have to build to hold all your tools? lol
    The guys that laid tile for my patio had an electric, water cooled job and it was a little big. Storage might be a problem. And mortar, you get to mix the mortar. And colorful tiles.
    The storage shed will be helpful for keeping all those extra tiles and mortar out of the rain/sun. I have tiles in my garage from: 1. the patio, 2. the grill island top, 3. the laundry room, 4. the kitchen backsplash, and 5. the bathroom floors. Plus the 6. marble tiles for the shower and 7. master bath floor. Yeah, I just love to store all this stuff. You never know when you will need some spare tiles. lol
    Just kidding. But watch out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janee, my husband is going to be so jealous when he learns that you have your own tile saw! Look out or your neighbors will want to contract you to do their tile work. Your math skills will come in handy. Take pictures of the process, please.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete