Saturday, April 19, 2008

A couple of good days

For all of you who are following my gutsy new outings, here's one for the books: I went on Friday and got my hair cut! I have grown my bangs out to chin length, and I am going to let them catch up to the rest of my hair. This means cutting the long stuff. I still have layers, but the longest hair is now just to my shoulders, and the shortest is at my chin. It's cute! I'll post a photo after I take one! :P

I also went yesterday morning and had breakfast at Beyond Bread... by myself! I had a little quiche, some delicious multigrain bread with strawberry jam, and a cup of skim milk. Yummy!

I went to pick up my bike from Performance Bicycles. They were fixing the gearing adjustment. The guys there all agreed that the bike was not going to be very comfortable for me, because the size was a bit large, the reach was too long, and the seat was wrong. :/

So I looked at new bikes! And I found one that I really liked, which the men agreed was a great deal and a good bike for me. I didn't feel quite ready to make the buy, though.

Today I awoke early and went for a bike ride with Jack. We went 20 miles, traveling up to Old Spanish Trail and on to Saguaro East. We continued a couple more miles to the Javelina Picnic Area, circling around there before heading back.

The ride was challenging, with ups and downs, and it was 20 miles. The traffic was light when we left at 7 am, but it picked up as we went along. But this was not a problem, because of the great bike lanes! Tucson is wonderful for cycling! The toughest parts for me were the left turns across traffic. These were made more difficult because I don't have a mirror.

After all the fun of the ride, I was convinced that I wanted a new bike. I dragged John out with the promise of lunch. After a fine Romano's lunch, we returned to Performance, only to discover that "my" bike was gone! They'd just sold it.

There was another bike, though, that had been calling to me yesterday -- a Fuji women's bike. It's white, transitioning to lavender-blue, and has flowers in the transition zone. All the stuff that's black on most bikes is white on this one! I rode the bike, and I loved it. The fit was supremely comfy, everything's easy to reach, and my angles all measured properly. Yes.. Doug measured my angles! :)

It is mine! Doug fixed me up with some trick-out things, and some of them had to be installed, so I'll pick up my new machine tomorrow. Next, I will figure out how to get the new bike back to Indiana.

And there was a party! Alleen and Lloyd were out in front of their cottage with a group. I got my chair and a beer and a bowl of peanut M&M's and enjoyed the evening with Alleen & Lloyd, Donna & Al, Leatha & Bob, Kathy, Eldon & Joanne, John, and some other folks who happened past and talked for a few minutes.

People continue to pack up and leave, and I'll be among them within the next ... week or so. I'm just not ready to go right yet.

4 comments:

  1. hey sis,

    Prouders!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. walk...walk...turn head...look down.
    slowly scan floor....
    walk..walk...kneel down...
    look under recliner...up...walk...
    mumble...mumble...look other way...
    look up on shelf...mumble..
    walk..walk...look on desk...
    mumble...what..open desk drawer...
    rummage around...close desk drawer..
    open other desk drawer...look around..mumble 'not here'....
    walk...scan kitchen table...
    mumble 'what did I do with that thing?' walk..walk...'where did I put that calculator?'

    http://tinyurl.com/2xm5fv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Net! :)
    Jim, that is SO COOL! I hope that everyone will go to your link and see that guy. Zow. I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janee! The new bike sounds awesome and it sounds like you received some good advice on selecting a good fitting bike. Build up those "cheeks" so you can ride without getting sore.
    *wink*
    Jim(c)

    ReplyDelete