Monday, April 14, 2008

Sunday Hike

Sunday I did something different for Sunday: I went on a hike! For this one, I went with a different group -- the X-hiking group from meetup.com, and we climbed to the top of Safford Peak. There are a bunch of photos posted from the hike HERE. I don't have any photos posted yet, but I will do that, when I get them ready. The cool thing about these photos, is that, since I didn't take them, I'm actually IN some of them! :)

The hike was difficult for me on a few levels. It was physically challenging, because it involved big up with lots of rock-scrambling, loose rocks, loose gravel, and oddly positioned cactus!

Another factor that made the hike difficult was that no one knew just exactly where the trail was. There were lots of trails, but we would get going down the wrong one, only to discover that we were going the wrong way, and have to go back up it.

There was one place where we scrambled up probably 100 feet with hand-over-hand careful climbing. Rocks were loose and, now and then, one would come loose. I was just past a particularly difficult passage when one of the leaders, who was straight above me, said, "We're going back." Huh? We were on the wrong trail! Back down, down, down, this steep rocky hill, only to find our proper trail, and head up, up, up, in that direction.

On the steep areas, I always end up sucking air. I feel strong, well able to pull myself to where I need to be (unlike 2007, when I was much weaker). But the cardio thing.. that's still a big challenge to me!

And I have discovered that I hike slowly. Most of the others were on up the trail, waiting patiently as I struggled up the hill. I got there, and they asked if I needed a break. "No," I replied, "I rest as I'm hiking!"

The trail was treacherous just because of the shape of the mountain. In one place, we crossed a narrow isthmus of rock connecting two parts of the mountain. The isthmus was probably a bit over a foot wide, and, on either side, there was nothing for 1/2 a mile straight down. I went across this on my butt, as did Lori and Eugene. I don't know what others did, but there are a few guys in this group who I cannot imagine going on their butts. There are two photos of me straddling this rock in row 5 of that photo collection.

So we reached the peak! There is a log in a box where people sign in, and I was proud to add my name to this list!

The trip down was problematic as well, partly because it wasn't all "down." Again, the trail was not what we thought at all times, and we ended up going up and down and up and down a few times in different places. This was tough.

The other tough part was the loose gravel and rocks! Everyone was falling, and I was among them! I ended up with several skinned up places on my arms and legs. At one point, I fell hard, landing with my arm hugging one of those oh-so-huggable teddy bear chollas! Yikes! Spines stuck in my tender underside of my arm, in my shirt, in the foamy parts of my poles... One fall would have been plenty, but I probably fell ten times. Sheesh.

Hiking again tomorrow! I just won't give up! LOL!

4 comments:

  1. Janee, you should be incredibly proud of yourself after that hike. As for me, I have a case of the willies after seeing you on that narrow hunk of granite so far up in the sky. I'll resist the urge to Photoshop my face onto that picture for my high school reunion. Just be careful on these jaunts!

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like the Energizer Bunny (copyright). You keep going, and going, and going.....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy! I hope your hikes around Bloomington don't seem boring after all that. They will certainly be a lot easier!

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, sis...when do you start back this way? Are you going to be back in time to help us move :)

    We have packed and packed stuff, but if finally is looking like we might actually get all this done by May 15.

    I do wish you had a dining room table and chairs you didn't want/need. We have dark wood cabinets in the new house and so that little table we have of mom's will look really bad. We are going to keep it for a game table in the basement (one of the nicest rooms in the house).

    We will be able to help you with your house situation - whatever you decide to do, too. So, just let us know when/what...etc. You can stay with us, but Steve said no cat or dog :( The cat because of me, the dog because our dog would flip out. She is 8 and really doesn't know she is a dog. If another dog is even in the yard, she will just act like she is going to croak.

    Your hiking out there always looks so difficult and I bet it really is. You must be very in shape these days to keep up with some of those hikes. Prouders!

    Let me know what your plans are when you get some in place. Love you lots, Sis.

    ReplyDelete