Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday in Tucson

Saguaro Green seemed appropriate for my font today. The saguaros are beginning to bloom around Tucson now! The buds form large upon the tops of the cactus and sometimes its arms. Then the flowers come out huge and white, with yellow centers.

Today Jack and I took off on our bikes, riding a total of 20 miles. We went down Sarnoff, Golf Links, Escalante, Irvington, around a nice little neighborhood, and then back on Old Spanish Trail. The ride was fun and challenging, of course, with wind in our faces the whole time, it seemed!

There were not as many hills as there were in our ride on Saturday, but with the headwind, it was like hard hills in places. We had some good downhills, too. In one place, we got up to 25 mph on a downhill. I guess that means that we must have had some uphills too then, eh?

On this ride, I got a buzz like I get from hiking. I think I'm a roadie!

The hardest part of today's ride had to be the left turns. I don't really like turning left in traffic, and we must have had a dozen left turns today. I'm getting better at maneuvering leftward, being a bit bold, while being careful and predictable. For one of the turns, I did a "box turn," crossing on over to the appropriate forward lane of the cross street, and then waiting for the light to cross, ending up where I would have been if I'd done a "normal" turn.

I have to say that Tucson is an amazingly bike-friendly town. While crashes can and do happen, there are great bike lanes and bike routes. Love it! And of course, I wouldn't even be doing this, if not for the wonderful bike safety class that I took here.

I pre-treated for my asthma, too, and felt much better than before. I was careful to drink enough during the ride, consuming very nearly all of my 65 oz of fluids. What I did screw up, though, was my hands. I had forgotten my gloves, and got a couple of near-blisters between my thumbs and index fingers. Urgh.

When I got home, Jack, John, and I worked on getting my new vertical blinds installed up high to cover the clerestory windows, as needed, and I DO need them covered now, with the piercingly hot direct sun.

Tonight, the boys and I went to Chuy's for a delicious supper. I had broiled fish tacos with cabbage, beans, and rice. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sis. Ok, that fish taco sounds like the worst thing in the world!! Yuck. But, if you like it...go for it.

    The bike paths out there sound wonderful. We have some cropping up around here, but not as many as needed. I always loved riding my bike around much more than walking. It seems less "boring" to me.

    I am at home with a cold today. I just didn't sleep well and have a stuffy nose. Not a big deal, but when I don't sleep well, I just don't function very well.

    The kids are all doing great and Nate and Spencer are getting ready to head off to school in August. Hard to believe they are old enough already. Matthew is crawling all over the place now and has the cutest smile I have ever seen on a baby. When he smiles, his whole body smiles with him.

    See you soon! Love, Sis.

    ReplyDelete