Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Heat is On

Yep.. it neared 100° here in Tucson today! The summer heat is on the way! I enjoyed my day today, with no sign of Friday's agonizing abdominal pain. I began the day with my walk with Maddy. Then I showered and readied myself for.. brace yourself .. church.

Jack's stepmother Mary invited me to go with her and Jack to their church today for the service, followed by a potluck luncheon. The last time that I'd been to an actual church, for something other than a wedding or a funeral, was when I was about 10, when Mom took us to the Presbyterian church. Of course I remember nothing of that experience.

This time, it was interesting and fun, though. I really like Jack, of course, and his stepmother is a sweet lady, so it was good to be with them and to meet their more pious friends. It was a Methodist church with a pretty free-thinking minister. He did make what I consider to be a pretty serious error, though, when he was telling the congregation that "repent" means "turn." I think that he may have been thinking about "reverse." Happily for Jack and Mary, I did not stand up and correct the minister, though the error did confound the message for me.

The potluck was fun. I don't know when I've ever seen a group of people eat so much food! My favorite thing was a most unattractive but amazingly delicious black cherry jello concoction. It contained dark cherries, pineapple, walnuts (I think), and coconut. It was a dark purple and appeared to have twigs floating on top (the coconut), and I would never take it to a potluck, because it was so .. ugly. But what a surprise when I dared take some!

I caught up on email a bit and then headed to the pool -- the only place to be on a day like today!

John's on the mend, and today enjoyed a nearly pain-free day. It is wonderful to think that Dr. Shroeder was actually able to fix his back. I'm so happy for John!

For supper tonight, Jack and I went to the Texas Roadhouse. He'd won a gift certificate from there at the Livestrong ride, and so we redeemed it. I had, I believe, the best filet I've ever had. I ate just half, so I get to enjoy it again tomorrow! :)


1 comment:

  1. Texas Roadhouse?? Oh god im so jealous!! Mollys and my favorite steak house. Only one here in Mn.and its a little over two hours away from here!! So we have only been there once. LOL! Yes church can be fun.

    ReplyDelete