Thursday, August 21, 2008

I've learned a lot

One thing that I've learned is how wonderful it is to have friends -- real friends -- upon whom I can rely and who can rely on me. And I have such great friends, don't I? :) And I include my family in this number, too, because I think that family who are also friends bless us doubly.

Karen and Dona, it's great to hear from you and to know that you're still following my blog. I write just as I talk, so, when we ultimately meet face-to-face, you'll feel like you already know me! And, after all we went through together, I don't feel like we're strangers. I'm glad you're both doing well. I find it interesting that you, too, gave up your dog, Karen. For me it was more a physical need. My little RV that I'm finding myself living in (as well as my cottage in Tucson) is just not big enough for a dog as big as she is. I was finding myself gone all the time and I could see sadness in her eyes, it seemed.

Annette, Robert, Becky, and DL.. you guys are great -- friends and family rolled into one.

And I'm happy to see my Photoshopping friends are still following me: John, Dorothy, Bonnie, Lynell, and Maxine! You folks have given me so much over the years, and I continue to wallow in all of your love.

So today was another day of panic and working, but mostly panic. I had the movers here, taking another load of stuff, including the huge bed, the dresser, recliners.. and some boxes. I do hope that they made it up to your place, Annette!

And then the carpet people came. The carpet looks fine, all except for a patch where they just left nothing between the bedroom and bath, where the carpet used to meet the tile. Now there is a 1" gap between the carpet and tile. I went to Lowe's and told the guy and he reassured me that the people would come and fix it and that I'd be happy. I am sure that I will be. I am not happy with it now, though.

I paced around a lot. I cleaned bugs out of the fan lights. I cleaned some paint off the kitchen floor. And then I went out and did errands. I cashed a check that Michael had gotten, and that's always an ordeal. "Well, why didn't he sign this?" And they have to go and check with someone to see if it is ok that I cash the check. What do normal people do when their husbands die? It seems that it shouldn't be such a rare event for these bank tellers!

I got flowers for my guest bathroom vases, I got cat food and litter at Petsmart, and I had a failed attempt to find a nice dress at TJ Maxx. I'm not sure who their market is at TJ Maxx, but it is most certainly not me, at least when it comes to clothes.

So I went to the mall and tried on things at Macy's, looked at things at some other places, and then went to Christopher & Banks. They had a little party going on with snacks and special sales for teachers. I didn't even use their special sale; the dress that I liked was on sale anyway - 1/2 price! Woo hoo! And it was just the thing that I wanted. Maybe I'll take a pic of myself in it for y'all. The other cool thing is that it'll go perfectly with the orange shoes and purse that I already have. (I'm one of those very rare women who doesn't go crazy for new shoes.)

One thing that makes me smile these days is realizing that no one in the stores really tries to wait on me anymore. It must be a demographics marketing thing. When I was 16 and couldn't afford anything, the sales people were all over me. Now I could own the store if I wanted -- well maybe not, but they don't know that -- and no one cares that I'm in there. I shop in peace.

4 comments:

  1. Janee,

    I too have been following along on your adventures. I am really proud of everything you have done, are doing, and will do in the future.

    I wish you happiness and joy in everything you seek and know that you will continue to be successful!

    I sure understand why you needed to let Maddie go another place. She will be happy.

    I just wanted to tell you what my bank told me when I told them that Terry had died: I wanted his name off the account, but they advised that I should just leave it on there for at least a year. Then if I had any checks come in his name, I should simply sign for him and deposit them! I did just that and when those checks came in, I had no problems. Apparently the person I spoke to had seen this problem before. So sorry your bank did not advise you to do the same.

    I was also advised that I did not need to remove him from the mortgage. In the event I would sell the house I would just present a death certificate at that time.

    Keep smiling!
    Michael is smiling on you!

    Regards,

    Barb P, from the BT spouses board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee and Barb,
    my bank told me the smae thing--especially with Ted owning his own business and checks still due to him--I still have his name on the account, because as happens to docs, there are still several patients who owe him (now me) and if they would ever develop a conscience and decide not to take advantage of a widow, then I would just endorse it with "for deposit only" and put it in the account--because his name is on the account. That is because the patients would never think to write the check to me. Now this hasn't happened yet (I am always hopeful) , but one of our investments comes only in his name and for some complicated reason that even our atty couldn't change, that is it--so his name will be on the account as long as I need it to be. To be honest, I just think people should realize how difficult it is to be a widow. Like who do you put in case of emergency with the kids out of town--and out of state.
    so I am right there with you both--I have learned a lot and I'm still learning--sometimes 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

    just keep on writing; we need each other.

    hugs (because we need those too!)
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how many friends a person has that they didn't know thay had. So many good people keeping up with your life. And all the great comments because one idiot made a stupid comment. With friends like this, how can you possibly have an unhappy life.

    Love you, J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janee - That shot of you in the pale blue top and short hair is FABULOUS!!!! You are stuck with me doll.

    XO - D

    ReplyDelete