Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

What a lot we had to be thankful for this year! Last year had Michelle feeling weak and beaten from her recurrence of cancer, and Becky feeling weak and beaten from her cancer, and me feeling weak and beaten from having just lost Michael. But this year, Michelle was strong, working non-stop on preparations for the feasting. Becky is exuberant, as she has been told that her tumor is gone.

I was feeling a little maudlin about being not only without Michael, but without Jack. And then we were talking on the phone and he said that he wished that he could meet all the family -- people I've talked about often. And we decided that he would come down, and so he did.

Wednesday night, Angie made the best lasagna ever, seriously -- homemade sauce.. just plain yummy.

Thanksgiving day was the feast with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberries, green beans, and then desserts. Pies this year were my cherry pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and a bought caramel apple pie.

Friday Jack was still with me, and we went to the Frazier Museum, seeing lots of weapons, armor, guns, spears, and other interesting things. Then we went to KT's and had a delicious dinner, went to Graeter's for ice cream, and returned to the house at about 9. Another great day!

Jack was with me on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Then, this morning, we shared breakfast before he went north and I went south and west. And now we're 850 miles apart.

Tonight I'm in West Memphis, Arkansas. The Where is Janee Now link over there --> shows me in my actual campground, near to the actual space where I'm camped! The APRS is working very well, and I'm getting lots of position reports throughout the day. I wonder if this will continue as I head on westward. Here's a screenshot of the Where is Janee Now in Satellite view. You can see a barge in this picture, and this is like the 2 barges that I saw going by here earlier, when I was doing my walk. Click it to see it full-size!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Mine,

    It was so great having both you and Jack with us for Thanksgiving. As you said, this year was a far cry from last. I so enjoyed meeting Jack, whom I had heard so much about. He is really a nice guy.

    All the food was great, and your cherry pie was to die for. There was none left, and I was wishing for more.

    I was wondering what Jack thought with everyone talking at once, and so much laughter and noise. That is what happens when 23 members of a large family are all together for a holiday.

    I'll try to follow you as much as possible. We should keep in touch. It is free, you know.

    Love and have a safe trip West.

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if you could get jack to get his license you could have a "where is jack now" link and keep track of each other ;-)

    Good luck, it sure looks like you are having fun.

    ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Sis. I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

    We woke up to 2" of snow this morning and supposed to have 2 more tomorrow. It is not really sticking to the roads though, so it is pretty. I like the look of snow, just not having to drive in it.

    It is great that Jack got to enjoy Thanksgiving with you and M's family. I am sure he made a good impression. He is a pretty nice guy...oh, he doesn't read this does he? I don't want him to think I like him. ;)

    Be safe in your travels and chat with you soon. Love you lots, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI Your tracking system stopped working at about 1:00 central time today, Sunday. Where are you?
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. John:

    Maybe I can help out with your question. The answer is probably on the road somewhere. To get a new point displayed on the map Janee's radio messages need to be received by something called a igate digipeater. This is a dedicated station that a ham has setup at a fixed location ususally his/her home that is also attached to the internet.

    Arkansas is a pretty sparse and poor area. That means that the digipeater coverage is also probably pretty sparse. So Janee is probably driving along and sending out her position, but it is just that nobody has setup a digipeater where she is at.

    I am sure we will get an update real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Opps forgot to put my name on the bottom

    ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete