Sunday, November 30, 2008

Doves on the Wing

This day started out with the weather calm but cloudy in West Memphis. I had a shower, about 5 minutes of which was warm. I unhooked and drove off. I had a fuel stop, a couple of Rest Area stops, and then it was time for lunch. One HOUR is how long it took me to get my food and to get it eaten... at Wendy's in Arkadelphia. At least it was good. I got chili, a Caesar salad, and a root beer. I saved the salad.

Sometime this morning, just before I crossed the White River in Arkansas, I saw an amazing sight -- probably 100,000 white and gray doves both swirling through the air, and noshing on corn in a field. What a wonderful thing to see!

After I left Arkadelphia, the wind picked up, and I fought it all the rest of my drive, making my shoulders sore from the effort. I didn't go much further, stopping at Mt. Pleasant, TX, just a third of the way from the eastern border of TX to Dallas, on I-30. My APRS shows me ... not there yet. Remember, it will show my position only if it "talks to" a station with an internet gateway, and these gateways are usually rarer in the west than in the east.

After I got here, I went for my walk just around the KOA campground. Then I set out to connect the cable TV. Connecting it was not a problem, but getting it to actually work? I couldn't figure it out, even after consulting the owner's manual! Instead, I needed to call my TV expert -- Jack! Setting up the cable in this TV is a 4-step process:
  1. Connect the cable outside.
  2. Put the switches by the radio to Radio and On.
  3. Turn the green light in the cabinet by the TV OFF.
  4. Turn the TV on with the remote. Then click the Menu button and go to TV > Cable.
I know. It seems like a lot to me, too, but tonight, I'm enjoying HGTV while I do email and blog! :)

2 comments:

  1. Well sounds like Jack is getting more and more ready for his HAM license ;-)

    Actually that makes sense. I suspect the TV was in over the air mode and needed to be switched to cable mode, which is what these steps would appear to do.

    Ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying for years to figure out (unsuccessfully) how to do comments on a blog.(We've lost your e-mail address) This is yet another try and am not optimistic. We've been enjoying your blog. We will be flying to North Carolina and picking up our Navion. Then driving home via some time in Florida. Hope to stop briefly at FH on our way home.
    Carol and Kit

    ReplyDelete