Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Mowed my Lawn!

Well, for those of you who mow your lawn regularly, this is a big woop-de-do, but, for me, it was a big deal! Today marked the first time that I mowed my own lawn in over 22 years! After Michael died, I continued on with our lawn service, because our lawn was huge! Then I sold the house and was in Tucson, where there is no grass. Then last summer in the RV and then here, and Jack mowed the lawn, with the new lawn mower that I'd bought. So today he showed me how to operate it and I mowed the whole lawn, front and back!

We arrived back here yesterday. We stopped first in Big Rapids, at Jack's house, and unloaded all of his things from the RV. Then we came together up to Paris, stopping along the way to reinstate the insurance on his car, to buy me another TV set, and to get our mail. He got his van started, but had to change a tire. Then he took most of the things that are his from this house and drove them back to BR.

That part was difficult. It's easy to say "Let's move in together," but then, if you want to pull back a bit, it's hard. Jack and I are still great friends, and I hope that we always are. We still share lots of common interests. We are still going together to the Menard's Contractors Lunch tomorrow. :) I was laughing today at the idea that it used to be considered a sin for unmarried people to live together. But now it seems that others think that it's a sin for us to live apart!

4 comments:

  1. What happened to this relationship?
    Was it too much, too fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think mowing the lawn is a sign of true independance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what people think about living together anymore. From the response people put on your blog ---I think they expected you to marry---it was wise of you not to get in a hurry about that!

    Most of the young live together before they are married. sometimes it helps and most of the time it doesn't help. I know people that should have tried to live together before they married. A young couple I know is getting married this summer after 6 years---I don't give them any better odds that the people that get married after knowing each other 6 months.
    I think older people don't have to get married and they shouldn't. It always seems messy and never what the two people expected. It is nice to have someone special! But marriage is hard work ------not all of us old folks are up for that. I know a widow that has tried three times since she lost her long term husband. Now that was a real mess. At least you don't have a messy break up. Maybe it isn't a break up just a pulling back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the lawn mowing! I also had not mowed the lawn since I was a kid at my parent's, and even then I had brothers so didn't have to do it very often. Terry was a fanatic about keeping the grass cut and the weeds dead. I am still using the lawn tractor Terry bought in 1994! He was such a great mechanic and he took immaculate care of his toys. Now my neighbor does the mechanical tune-up for me once a year and I do the rest! I have even used the chain saw to take down some small trees and brush!
    Go girl! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete