Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Herkimer, NY

We awoke today in Niagara Falls, Ontario, discovering that, while the sky was gray, there seemed to be... no rain! We took advantage of this, emptying our tanks, unhooking the utilities, hooking up the car, and getting down the road! We went on the tollroad -- 90 -- stopping for lunch at an oasis Tim Horton's.

Here's something funny that happened. We ordered a sandwich to split, a cup of soup, and a bottle of water. Then, after she had rung up the sale, I decided that I wanted a chocolate chip muffin, too. So I asked her if it would be too late to add one to our order. "No problem," she said, and she just gave it to us! We took the opportunity to get fuel, too, and we were on our way.

We arrived about 4:30 at the Herkimer KOA, and it's lovely! Our site is right on the river, a fast-flowing stream which reminds me a bit of home! After a short break, we took off in the car to the town, in search of dinner. We found an Applebee's and that won. I got the cheese-filled meatballs with fettucini and Jack got a steak. His steak was tough but tasty, and mine was mushy and not tasty.

In fact, when the server asked me if I wanted a take-home box, I said, "No, it wasn't that good." The manager was there, too, wanting to know if I had liked the dish, which is a new one for the chain. He said that many people were giving them the same review, and he told me that he was taking it off our bill. Well ok, that's fair, but I would rather that they would take the bad stuff off the menu to start with!

We are averaging about 14.5 miles per gallon on this trip, towing the car behind the RV. The only problems we've had with anything are low tires on the car, which Jack aired up, and our refrigerator, which is FREEZING everything! We are going to Amsterdam's Camping World tomorrow for a 9:30 appointment to check up on that.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your having fun. Have the leaves started to turn in the East yet?

    Guess you could stock your frig with
    icecream, every flavor Ben and Jerry makes :)

    Dona

    ReplyDelete