Friday, September 10, 2010

New Computer

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a new computer. The old one was blue-screening me repeatedly upon boot-up and it drove me crazy. It was also getting very slow and I thought it was just time, after 4 years (or maybe 3) to upgrade. And, after owning the thing for a couple of weeks, I finally came up with the time and energy to open it and give it a try.

My new machine is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7. While I have not noticed anything different about Windows 7, at least nothing that I like, I have noticed some new things about this computer, almost none of which I like, either.

First of all, the thing won't wake up from "sleep" mode. The screen lights up, with whatever I had on there last, but the pointer won't move. So I have to do a cold reboot. I know that this isn't good, but I don't know what to do about it.

Also, the touchpad is so fiddly that it's driving me nuts. I keep accidentally zooming the browser window. I wish that I knew of a way to lock its size at 100%.

And the buttons that I click are LOUD. Do I need to mention that this drives me nuts, too?

I have been religiously backing up my old computer with my Seagate Replica, so it should be easy to just plug the Seagate into this computer and get my stuff. But many of the folders don't move, or they move empty. And I can't tell if they really are in the Seagate or not. I have to investigate this further, but not today.

Things that I like make a shorter list. The computer does seem to be more "in touch" with the internet, losing its connection less frequently than the other one did. But that may just be a function of the weather. I'm using Verizon's MiFi card.

I rather like Toshiba's Bulletin Board program. I can sort of customize it with my own stuff, and I think that it could be fun and/or useful.

I am hopeful that I'll get used to it and come to like the computer.

I've been busy with many pursuits. Jack and I finished the porch project for Diane, and then built a set of magnificent herringbone steps for her back door. These are similar to the ones we made for Donna and Al, and for Annette and Steve's deck.

As we were finishing the job, Jack's brother Ken arrived. He and Jack stayed with me for a week. While the weather was mostly gray when it wasn't actually dumping rain in buckets, we had a good time, nevertheless. We went to the Art Fair on Labor Day, entertained other brother Doug and Debbie, and ate good food.

One of the special things that we ate was the peach pie that I made yesterday. Yummy!

4 comments:

  1. Should have gotten an Apple computer. They are so much better and last so much longer. (p.s. I have nothing to do with Apple other than being on my second one...they wouldn't know if I lived or died.)

    Maybe you can return it and get one??

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's brand-new and giving you this much grief, take it back. You are a computer person, and should not have to deal with this baloney.

    When I got my new desktop, I plugged in my Seagate and started to move stuff (I thought.) What I was doing was backing up the new computer over all my saved files! It took a genius at MicroCenter to bail me out. Fortunately, the old hard drive wasn't a goner.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't own a MAC, you don't own a computer...it's as simple as that. Look, when you have to keep trying to fix that Windows machine, keep up your virus protection, anti-spam software, Ad-Aware, SpyWare protection...what, you don't do any of that? If you don't, and you use Windows, you will ALWAYS have problems.

    My household has 6 Macs, and they range from a 10 year old G4 Mac Cube, to a modern stainless steel MacBook with 5GB of memory and a 500GB HDD (hard drive). Yes...they all work perfectly, have never caused us any problems, and are all used regularly.

    I could easily sell my wife's 9 year old G4 iMac for several hundred dollars, or the Cube, but, we still like them so much, we can't stand the thought of selling them.

    I'm a Pro/Am photographer, and use some of the most demanding software on the market, so I always have a very modern Mac in the stable. I have also used Windows machines before, for about 30 years actually. Not because I wanted to, but due to work constraints. I am extremely familiar with both sides, and highly recommend Apple’s Mac computer over anything else!

    By the way, since convincing the rest of my family and extended family to switch to Macs, I no longer have to make “house calls” to fix Windows run products. That’s more that 40 Macs with NO problems. Wow! Oh, we have never used virus protection on our Macs (none of us), or anything else like that. On a Mac, you don't really need to. You can if you want, but, it's not very likely that you will ever get a virus/malware/or any thing else for that matter.

    If you don't opt for a Mac, good luck with your Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7, you are going to need it.

    AL E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a Mac chick, but a Windows girl. I realize that Mac folks have a cult-like love of their platforms. I guess that's what happens when we spend that much on something; we need to love it. Anyway, I have no interest whatsoever in changing platforms, and will not publish anymore comments on this. :)

    ReplyDelete