Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Non-Hiking Day for Janee

I know that even the happiest people have "down" days, and so far, at least, this is one of them. I somehow have hurt my foot. The joint where my big toe hooks onto my foot hurts as if I were standing on a thumbtack. So today I opted out of hiking, and this is supposed to be a really great hike -- one I've not been on -- to Hutch's Pool in the Catalina Mountains. I'm resting my foot today, keeping it elevated, which seems to help. I may stick it into the hot tub later.

Otherwise things are great. I've amassed a small pile of gifts under my little tree and they make me smile. The Village is all ablaze with beautiful (and some really tacky LOL) Christmas lights. In fact, the TOWN is lit up more than I remember seeing. I have my lights on a timer so that they go on and off without my having to be actually there to turn them on or off.

I'd forgotten how much I really love Christmastime! In the years that I was with Michael, 26 of them, we didn't do much for Christmas, since it wasn't exactly our holiday as a family. But now I'm grooving on the whole thing. I found an interesting article about Christmas traditions and how the early Christians hijacked the Pagan holiday of Solstice and the Roman tradition of Saturnalia. After you read the article, take the quiz!

2 comments:

  1. Thought I woud check in. I'm at Missy's in Calif midst the flooding rains. In all the years I lived here, I don't remember rains of such long duration! I love Christmastime too.

    Pleased to see so many beautifu Janee-style pics as you go down the page. Now if only you will go back to teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Kath! I've been hearing about the flooding rains from Kimba and some of my other CA buds.

    I will never say "never" when it comes to returning to teaching, but suffice to say that ... I don't even know how to upload to my website anymore. (true) So I have some work to do to get caught up. ;)

    ReplyDelete