Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

Ok, so it's not Valentine's Day anymore, but I forgot to post this on the day, so here you are.

Every couple has their own way of celebrating holidays. Some people go all out for such holidays as Valentine's Day, getting jewelry or clothes, or going out for nice dinners. Michael and I had our own ways of celebrating our holidays, too.

For Valentine's Day, we would go out together sometime before the day. We'd go to a card store and he'd take off in one direction, and I in another. I would look for a card for him, and he would look for a card for me.

When we were satisfied, we would meet again, and show each other the cards. Sometimes we'd laugh. Sometimes we'd shed a tear or two. Then we would put the cards back and leave the store.

Sometimes we'd show each other a little cutesy stuffed thing that we would get for the other if we were doing that, but we didn't actually buy the thing. I am laughing now, remembering this. I do have a few cards still that Michael did give me -- mostly for my birthday. Now I do wish that I had more things written in his handwriting, but this memory of our card "shopping" will always be mine.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the "card shopping" story. It ranks right up there with the paper clips, and changing clothes in the car. You really do need to write a book.

    Are we going to see pictures of the fashion show? I'm sure you looked stunning!

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee, that's a fabulous Valentine memory.

    I knew a man who owned a pharmacy. His little daughter longed for a big, fancy card. The pharmacist told her to pick out the one she liked most. When she did, he said, "Honey, that's how much I love you. Now put the card back for a customer to buy." That was their annual Valentine's Day ritual. She's a grown woman now, and she treasures those Valentines that she only got to hold.

    I liked her story, and I like yours. You and Michael had a rare love.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete