Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ypsilanti, MI

I got up this morning at about 7. Took care of the pets, and myself, then spent the next hour and a half (yes) getting set to go, pinning things down, tidying things up in the house, dumping my tanks on the RV, and unhooking everything. I checked the pressures in the tires (all good) and wiped down the hoses as I stowed them. Michael would have been proud.

I managed to get on the road at 9:15 am, with my breakfast cereal in a cup in the cupholder, and a bottle of water beside me. The day was hot till afternoon. I stopped only twice the whole way -- once at Flying J just south of 465, to enjoy a fillup with $4.61 diesel; and at the Delaware County Rest Area, along I-69.

While at the Rest Area, I took Maddy for her maintenance walk, and then we did our fitness walk around the grounds. 4 laps gave us 20 minutes, and that sufficed today, as hot as it was. My plan was to return to the RV, turn on the genny and then pump out some AC while I ate my lunch. To my dismay, however, the genny did not start! The inside temp was 83, and my own personal temp was... higher than that.

I opted to grab a bag of snacks and another bottle of water, and just use the dash air as I dashed on up the highway. I put on Sirius Roadhouse on the radio and really liked that.

I wonder if it has ever occurred to anyone else that in John Denver's "Back Home Again," that line "the fire softly burning supper on the stove..." is funny?

I arrived at the KOA Greenfield/Detroit, which is actually in Ypsilanti, at 4:30, just as the GPS had predicted. It's raining here, the camp is pretty muddy, fires are softly burning everyone's supper, and kids are running around everywhere with innertubes.

But the coolest thing is that Dave, Kelly, Liam, and Josie are coming over to get me to go have dinner! YAY! (Wren is at a party tonight.) Gonna go finish getting ready!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, sis: Glad you made it up there ok. Thanks for the update. Have a great time with the kids, and hopefully the weather up there is not as hot/humid as it is down here! Yikes, it is just lousy.

    Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee,

    If you have Sirius, you should listen to Howard.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely. Sorry I missed you yesterday on IM. Hard to get any privacy here.
    Love you, J

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like fun. Traveling again.
    Can't wait till Sept when molly and I get to travel again. You will have to come up this way some time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought the line was two separate phrases...

    "fire softly burning......supper on the stove"

    It is funny the way you hear it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janee,
    Your leak can probably be fixed by buying some of those little round washers that go in the end of your hose. Get a bunch and put them in your "tardas" our Australian captain friens name for the drawer where you keep useful stuff.

    Wish you could have been with us at the Grand Canyon. Small rigs are good there.

    PS. If your generator won't start, try these things: run the chassis engine, to keep the voltage high for igniton; light a burner on the stove to make sure the propane is on/flowing properly, also check the refrigerator to make sure it's working. You could have a propane system problem. Also, gerators can be cantankerous just out of general principle, and you have to try again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janee,
    Your leak can probably be fixed by buying some of those little round washers that go in the end of your hose. Get a bunch and put them in your "tardas" our Australian captain friens name for the drawer where you keep useful stuff.

    Wish you could have been with us at the Grand Canyon. Small rigs are good there.

    PS. If your generator won't start, try these things: run the chassis engine, to keep the voltage high for igniton; light a burner on the stove to make sure the propane is on/flowing properly, also check the refrigerator to make sure it's working. You could have a propane system problem. Also, gerators can be cantankerous just out of general principle, and you have to try again and again.

    ReplyDelete