Monday, August 04, 2008

The Map

Tearing apart my house and putting it back together for new prospective owners has been, as you know, challenging, on many levels. One of the more difficult things for me has been dismantling my memories -- the memories that used to be OUR memories. With Michael gone, though, the "our" becomes "my" and shared memories that are "shared" by just me are pretty lonely things.

I don't want to lose my memories altogether, though, even when the souvenirs of such memories are artifacts that I must clear. One of these artifacts was the map.


Michael and I kept this map for 26 years. I'd built it by stapling a paper map onto a piece of board into which pins could be stuck. (I forget what the board is called, but there is a special name for it.) I then had this framed and we had it hanging prominently in our house. Whenever we returned from a trip, we'd take time to place the pins for that trip. The pins represented only those places where we had spent the night together. By the time we had completed our last trip together, we'd managed to place pins in 49 of the 50 states -- all but Alaska. (Summer of 2008 was to be our Alaska trip.)

I pulled out all 367 of the pins (367!!) and gave the map to the Trading Post, so that someone who wants such a thing can come and get it. I hope that it finds a good home. That's all I can do about it now.

I got the new sprayer attachment installed in the kitchen yesterday. I cleaned some window frames and sills. Today I made an appointment to have the carpets cleaned... tomorrow! And I have put in a call for an appraiser to call me back.

Got my tax bill, and, after all the hoo-hah, I was thinking that it would be a huge shock, but it wasn't much more than last year's bill, though my valuation went way up.

Catching up a bit: When I was in Ann Arbor, there was a young woman at the neighboring campsite who had some little snakes! And Wren and Josie were intrigued. The girl told us all about the snakes and let the girls play with them. Here are some pictures!







And here are some of us enjoying our lunchtime at Zingerman's. What a wonderful time I had with the kids up there!



8 comments:

  1. Hey sis. I know it must have been one of the hardest things to do - the map...but, you dreaded it, and now you are done. You have the pictures and memories and that is what matters the most. You went there, you did that, together. :)

    You will soon be mapping out new adventures and memories.

    I want to come and see the house when you get it "done" and ready. It sounds like you are very close to being at that point. It will be a bittersweet thing to walk away from there - both a burden gone, and ...well...

    We found out today that Matthew is very allergic to any eggs and egg products, things made with egg, etc. Ok, what isn't made of eggs! Not much. He has to even wear a braclet because he is so allergic...and an epipen (sp?) in case of an attack. YIKES.

    Well, I have so many projects to get going around here, and still haven't done much of them other than the bathroom upstairs.

    I have been trying to get a sore throat for a few days now...and hoping it doesn't turn into any more than that. Blah.

    I am headed over to Lisa's tonight for dinner and to see the kids for a bit. Also, we are going to hang pictures before next weekend and the (shhhhh!) party for Adam. I hope you are coming.

    Chat with you later. Love, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad about the map. It really sounded cool. Some day I may find someone and I might want to do a map like that. I really love the idea. The idea and places are still there. So regardless of who or what group ended up with the map the real map is yours.

    Also love to see that the young lady is being brought up properly to not be paranoid about wild life.

    Ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name of the board is Cork Board. We have a map also. Molly and I want to go to Alaska so badly. Some day it will happen im sure. Sounds like your house is almost complete. Love Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janee. Looked at the pictures. Loved the one of the granddaughter in the pig tails. Have you thought about that look ;-)

    Ray KB9LGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janee it's been awhile since you posted. Are you OK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, sis...

    Where are you? I think you must be around because there was a comment posted which is not here now, so I assume you did that.

    Give me a call or send me an email...I worry, you know.

    Love, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI to all - She went to Iowa with Jack Be back Wednesday night

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope things are going well with you.

    Have a Great Day!

    ReplyDelete