Friday, January 16, 2009

Warm Day in the Old Pueblo

Adobe tan for today's posting color. :) Yes, today is warm... here in Tucson, that is! We were looking at the weather channel this morning, and it is going to be lows in the mid-40's and highs in the 70's all week! I think that our winter is over! "Winter" here lasts just a couple of weeks, usually, and we can expect lows around 30 and highs in the 50's or 60's. Brrr! ;) I did nearly 50 years of Indiana winters, so I know what y'all are going through. It just seems sort of early for these bitterly cold temps, and it seems like it's going on and on. Annette, I agree that it seems wrong. And to rub it in, these are the weather gadgets that I have on my desktop. This is 12 noon:

Yesterday was a big day for us, with things going on all day long. We began the day early, leaving at 7:30 for a photo shoot downtown with the Photo Fun club. I got some cool photos, as did Jack. I haven't seen anyone else's yet.

We drove back (my day to drive!) here where I crooned with the choir till we broke at 11. Jack picked me up (and I resumed driving) and we went waaay over to Oracle, south of Ina, to the Hometown Buffet, where we attended Jack's alumni luncheon for Ferris State. They do this every year. The lunch was good -- all you can eat -- and I, as usual, won a door prize -- a shirt! To make room for it, I am giving away one of my older shirts.

Then we took about an hour to shop around on the northeast side, where there are some of the finest shopping opportunities around. Jack got a new Whirly-Pop popcorn maker, and we looked at gas fire pits. We also went to AJ's, a very fine grocery store, and got a few provisions for tonight.

We made it back a little late for the Entertainers' meeting, but it was ok; we didn't miss much. Then, having feasted at noon, we were not very hungry, so we just watched tube and did computer work all evening.

One thing that I was working on with my computer was the presentation that I was to do this morning for the Computer Club. That went well. Along with Bob Rogers, I did a talk on Windows Photo Gallery -- organizing, tagging, and fixing photos. People seemed to like it.

After the meeting, we segued right into the auditions for this year's production. I actually -- LOL I can't believe I did this -- got up and "sang" my rendition of Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz." Here's the song with a photo medley which I found on YouTube:


I hope that they find a place for it (or me) someplace in the play, but ... LOL .. I'll accept my fate.

Hiking's been fun. The Hardy Hikers went on a nice hike up to the Tanque Verde Dome on Tuesday, following a (are you sitting down?) a BIKE RIDE Jack and I took over to the Saguaro East Monument. We didn't ride IN the park, just to it, but that was 16 miles, and that's a big deal for me. We didn't go fast, at least, so it was fun, and it's downhill all the way home, which is my favorite way to go.

My health has been great, as has Jack's. We continue to do a fast-for-me walk every day, and he also does a fast-for-Jack walk by himself, usually pre-dawn.

We've gotten most of the stuff cleaned off the deck -- a major accomplishment! We still need to put a few things into the shed that we're going to build where my RV now sits. While my goal is to have this shed be living space (hobby room) and not just storage space, we are planning to include a sizable closet in the blueprint.

4 comments:

  1. You and Jack going to be ready to ride Hilly this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you do those weather gadgets on your desktop; I have a few locations I would like to do with my windows xp
    sounds like you are doing well; I am happy for you!
    karen from the BT site

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope that you sound better than Janis Joplin. Why would anybody want to listen to her version? I'm sure you will be given a spot in the play and I can't wait to see it.
    Love, J

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can just ignore this but I was just perusing the PSE stuff as an avid fan, saw and tried a lot of your stuff, read your blog, and found out lots of things about you. Actually I've been a missionary nurse in Haiti for 23 years and the biggest thing that impressed me is that you put Janis on your blog. I just loved her. It's great to see your doing so well after the long trip.
    Blessings,
    John Ackerman

    ReplyDelete