Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Super Soup Supper

Hey there, everyone! I am going to turn over a new leaf. I've decided that, in honor of Lent, I'm going to gather the discipline to post in here *daily*. So read it and comment!

Jack and I have been insanely busy, and I'll give you a few highlights:

Closing went great on my house. The new people didn't need an appraisal, a survey, an inspection, or even a mortgage, so it was easy. I was able to accomplish all of my part by phone, email and overnight mail.

The practice for the play is progressing. We have just a few more practices before our performance, so it is good that we are getting better.

We've been working hard on Smania's deck and it looks great. We have yet to do the railings and that's about all. Then we're going to build a set of back door steps for them, and that job will be billable.

We just returned last night from a wonderful week away in California! We spent the first few days with Becky in Huntington Beach. We visited California Adventure Park, and then the following day, we went to Disneyland. What fun! We kept our bellies full of delicious food, rode on everything we wanted to ride, and enjoyed all the sights. Jack's favorite ride was California Screamin' -- the giant roller coaster at California Adventure. My favorite was Thunder Mountain -- a smaller but very fun roller coaster at Disneyland!

On Sunday, we went to church at the Church of the Covenant in nearby Costa Mesa. It was a really fine church, we felt right at home, and we enjoyed the service! After church, we went back to Becky's, loaded up our stuff, said our goodbyes, and headed off to visit with Jack's aunt. He had no phone number for her, so we just went to where she lived and rang the bell. She and her daughter welcomed us in, and the three of them enjoyed reminiscing.

Then we headed south to downtown San Diego. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, and it worked out fine. Though the place was not fancy and the bathroom was abnormally small, it was not expensive and it was very handily located right between the downtown eateries and mall and just a few blocks from Balboa Park.

In San Diego, I'd intended to get together with my friend Dorothy, but it just didn't happen for us this time. I had not brought my computer, and I didn't know how to get hold of her. Bad planning, I know.

But we did have some unplanned fun, anyway! We did our walks up to and around Balboa Park. We visited the Air and Space Museum there, the Photography Museum, and the Model Railroad Museum. One of our days there, we went around and visited the little artists' shops surrounding a colorful courtyard. We didn't make it to Old Town. We didn't go to the zoo. But we did have lots of fun doing what we did. And we took a zillion photos, which I have not yet seen.

This evening, we went to a soup supper at the church, and it was great fun. Jack and I made a fabulous tomato-based ravioli soup, and it was a hit with everyone who ate it. We also enjoyed other people's offerings. Yum! What fun! I've discovered that church people cook well!

After the supper, we went on to the Sanctuary for the Ash Wednesday evening service, which was good and totally new to me, of course.

Look for me again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see your OK! Posting everyday sounds tedious for you. But every 5 to 7 days. Just something so that we know you are doing OK.

    Have a Great Day

    ReplyDelete