Thursday, February 21, 2013

Snow in them thar hills

Yes, there is still snow in the mountains, but it's meltinf quickly off our Tucson rooftops in the 48° sunshine. I know, it's still quite cold, particularly for Tucson in February, but it is what it is. Average high for this date is 69°, so I hold out hopes for a warmup soon!

In honor of the snow, I did this:
It is from scratch using a method that I devised in Photoshop. It's based upon our snowflake cutouts with paper we did as children. I began with a path of a triangle which has a 30° angle, the same as the folded up triangle. Then, to "cut" out the holes, I used the Pen in "subtract" mode. Once I had my triangle "cut," I "unfolded" it, by reflecting it and reproducing it around to complete the circle. For a look at a similar method I developed (using pixels instead of paths -- the difference is minor), see my tutorial at http://myjanee.com/tuts/snow/snow.htm
Today Jack and I went to a presentation on Geocaching! It was really interesting, and the hobby looks like a fun one. We will likely do some of that someday. I know... LOL just what we need: more hobbies!

2 comments: