Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Adventures in Hiking

Today was hiking day! I awoke to frost coating the car, to such an extent that it was hard to get the back door open to put my hiking pack in there. I left the engine running and went back inside, as the car warmed up.

Our hike was on Agua Caliente Hill, between the Catalinas and the Rincons. There were probably 15 of us on the hike, to begin, but people did drop out at intervals. The hike was very challenging, taking us up, up, up to where the cactus began to give way to shin daggers and grasses. And as we got some altitude, we were walking through SNOW! The snow came down as far as 4000 feet, so we were seeing snow for much of the day today.

The other women decided not to go up when we were about halfway to the top. I continued with the men. We reached a nice plateau where we had lunch, and then the guys decided to continue on up to the peak -- about 500' more elevation. I started out with them, but then I started to feel weak and thought that I should turn back. I convinced Jack that I was ok and so he went on up the hill with the rest of the men, and I turned back down the hill.

I didn't get very far before I had a problem. I developed a serious headache, and began to feel confused. I thought that I was perhaps having a stroke, and I tried to remember how to tell that someone was having a stroke. I remembered the symptoms and how to diagnose a person, and I tried to diagnose myself.

I put my hands on my face, and it felt normal. I said something: "I just want to die," and, while I was not comfortable saying that, it sounded normal! I raised both arms, my hiking poles dangling. They both came up to the same level easily. I remembered hearing that a stroke victim's tongue will be bent. I stuck my tongue out and felt it to see, and I couldn't tell.

I became more confused, stopping at one point and walking back up the trail. I remembered that my friends were up that way. Then I thought that I should go off the trail and hide in the brush. I thought that I could die that way, and that seemed ok.

In this beautiful landscape of mountains, sky, cactus, grasses, I sat on a rock and it occurred to me that I had no idea what I was doing, or who I was. I found my nametag around my neck, and I turned it and read it. I looked over and saw a staghorn cholla, and I knew that I knew the name of it. I started to put it back together.

Eventually, the men returned to my rock. I told them that I wasn't doing very well. I was crying and they were all lined up, just looking at me. I told them that I was feeling confused, and Duane told me that I had altitude sickness. He asked me if I had headache, and I said I did. I was not nauseous. He told me that I needed to be drinking more, and indeed, I had not been drinking much, because, in the cold, I was really not thirsty.

Jack gave me his bottle of Gatorade, which I drank, and I felt better almost right away. He told me that he wouldn't let me hike alone, and I told myself that I'll always drink plenty of fluids. I think that I'll get some Gatorade and put that into one of my water bottles.

I had suffered with altitude in Denver, but just with headache. That confusion thing -- not knowing who you ARE -- is really disconcerting. I hope that never happens to me again.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Janee! That is so scary. How long do you think you were alone in that confused state? I know the experts always emphasize carrying drinking water with you when you are walking or hiking, and you have just confirmed how important that is. I'm glad you are OK.

    Dan had a problem with altitude sickness years ago when we were traveling in Montana. I took him to the ER because he thought he was having a heart attack. That was scary too. Again, I am so glad you are all right.

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee, I am glad the guys came back before anything bad happened. I have had headaches from altitude, but never confusion. That would be real spooky. I think it is interesting that your memory of the incident was excellent. You seemed to recall all of your perceptions and feelings. At any rate, I am glad you are ok now.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sissy Meat...what the heck are you trying to do! I guess I understand now why people just disappear somewhere in the hills. How scary! The closest thing I have ever had to an altitude problem is walking to the 3rd floor of this building for a meeting! Maybe the next time I have to, I can just say I got lost and not go to the meeting.

    Please be careful with yourself...there are lots of people that love you and would miss you!

    Take care...your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know....if you were teaching a Pen Tool Class, that would never happen!


    Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......


    Love,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dangerous experience Janee. Good the guys came down when they did. Although you would probably appreciated it if they came down earlier. Looks like emphasis on teams in regards to adventures is good advice. Even when it seems like something simple as hiking.

    Now for the really bad news. Should you decide to come out of retirement and try to get a job as a Sherpa on Mount Everest, you probably shouldn't use any of us who read your blog as references.

    Remember, drink more!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janee,

    The scenery and the snow sounds great though the mind trip not. I had no idea altitude could affect someone like that.

    Am so glad you came through all right. You wouldn't think a hike could get so dangerous. We don't want to loose you. So stay safe... Well as safe as you can and still have fun!

    Hugs, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ya, Janee!

    Gadzooks, girl! I drop by to check in and see what you're doing and read this!

    I use a Camelbak hydration pack when I go on hiking and backpacking trips. They are great for several reasons, but mostly because you can drink from them through the tube without stopping to take your pack off. I have several of them. The winter one is wrapped in an insulated jacket with a neoprene cover for the drinking tube and bite valve, so whatever you put in it doesn't freeze. You can just keep hiking and take a drink by biting the valve and sucking your water or gatorade or whatever through the tube without even stopping! You can even put warm drinks in it, which is nice if it's cold out.

    Have fun and stay safe!

    Tani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats almost sounds like the start of a diabetic hypo - scary place to be. Now I know how to describe it to non diabetics ........ trouble is, most of the folks I know won't know how altitude sickness feels either < bugger > :(
    4th coomment was right, if you'd been on a computer chair, that wouldn't have happened :)

    Glad to see you enjoying yourself... Keep at it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow scary! Glad that it wasn't anything worse and you are fine.

    ReplyDelete