Saturday, September 06, 2008

Found it!

For those of you who know me very well, you know that, besides the fact that I've been living in a 23' motorhome, I'm also using the water in the house. This is because I'm still suffering with a water leak in the RV, when it's pressurized or when the water pump is on. I've used SOME water in the RV, for dishes and washing up, but having the water dripping out of the bottom of the RV has been unsettling enough that I have not wanted to use the RV water.

I'd had the RV up to Camping World, Greenwood, to get it fixed, and they had tightened some fitting, but it continued to leak after that. I'd looked around and around, but had not been able to find the source of this leak myself.

Well, last evening, it was cool enough that I was sitting in here with the windows closed. I was back in the back, dressing for bed, when I noticed that familiar drip-drip sound. I thought that it sounded like it was INSIDE the RV! So out comes my trusty Mag-Lite, and I set about looking for the search of this dripping!

Right along, I suspected that the leak was near the water heater, because it seemed to be dripping from that region on the outside. So I took out my lower drawer, under the clothes cabinet. There was the water heater, the water pump, and some plastic pipes, and it was wet under there! I could still hear dripping, but could not see a source.

So, with my flashlight trained on that area, I reached up and flipped on the water pump. And there before me sprang up the cutest little fountain you've ever seen! One of the plastic pipes that comes out of the water heater, a little elbow piece, has a tiny cut in it, probably 2 mm long. And water has been spraying out of there!

Today I went and asked at my favorite plumbing supply place what I should do to fix it temporarily, till I can get the RV to a competent RV repair facility. They sent me to Kleindorfer's Hardware, and the fellow there sold me a small bottle of Oatey All-Purpose Cement for PVC pipes. After getting it home and reading all the cautions on the label, of course I'm scared to try to DO anything with it, but.. I have it, just in case I get up the courage.

I went to the PO for my mail, and was delighted to find checks! My "economic stimulus" check finally came, along with a Verizon rebate check. These I took to the bank, and combined them with some other funds to buy a CD. It's a piece of paper, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it into my CD player, but I'm working on it.

A grocery run and a visit to Amos at the trash/recycling station finished up my errands.

Before I did errands, I walked up the mountain this morning, and it seemed easier than normal. Maybe it's because of the ribs that I had for supper last night! On my way back down, I stopped and had a talk with Tim, who lives between the two hills. Nice fellow who has two tailless cats, one who, if he had a tail, would look frightfully like Eddie.

3 comments:

  1. Janee,
    Not sure if your practicing to be a mechanic or a stand up comic,
    after reading today’s entry, I think you could do quite well at either.
    Good luck with the cement.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sis:

    Don't pay any attention to Donna...use the cement on your mouth - that will cure both issues! LOL. Just kidding.

    I am glad you found your leak, and now you can get it all fixed up just in time to get headed on the road.

    I am so excited about the car...a million thank yous!

    Nothing much going on here this weekend. All the kids were here yesterday and it was a zoo for a little bit :) But pretty quiet now. We have Skeet and Chigger (they stayed over night) but they are pretty good together these days. They are having fruit loops and watching cartoons. Who could ask for more.

    I have tons of laundry to do...gotta get busy or I will not get done.

    Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as neither of the cats looks frighteningly like a real bob cat. After all we do have them in Indiana.

    That split might come from the earlier pressure regulator problem. Might have weakened the system. Let me know if you need help with the system when you get the new fitting.

    Ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete