Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Chollas are about to bloom!

Here's a cholla (pronounced CHAU-ya) which is about to bloom. These cacti are interesting to me, because they seem unpredictable in the colors of their blooms. This one's going to be blooming soon in a striking burgundy red!

Ok, you asked for it; you get it! Here's a photo of the desert in bloom. I was looking up a hill, I think on the Ventana Canyon hike.

Today was a great day. I started it, as usual, exercising on my Wii! Then I went and picked up Jack, and we went for a hike! This was an unconventional hike for us -- rather a stroll -- in downtown Tucson. There is a "trail" that's been laid out with turquoise paint across many blocks of the town, walking us past many familiar landmarks and historical spots. It was a fun walk!

And, as we walked, we looked up toward "A" Mountain, our western landmark. So... let's drive UP the mountain -- something neither of us had done! We walked all the way up to the A, which is HUGE. 160 feet tall, and 70 feet wide! From city level, the A looks like just something that's carved into the mountain, but.. not even close. It was built by U of A students in 1916, and every year it gets a new coating of paint!
I shot this photo from the base of the A:

Here I am standing by the A:
Next, we did another Tucson must-do, which I'd never done. We walked through the Snake Bridge! I took a few photos, but none as good as these:

No comments:

Post a Comment