Saturday, January 05, 2013

Happy Birthday, Michael

Michael was always one of my blog's biggest fans, and, just in case he still reads it, Happy Birthday, Michael! Today would have been your 70th birthday.

Although you died over five years ago (!), you still are with me every hour of every day. Though my hours of tearful bouts have dwindled to momentary teary episodes, you still make me smile very often. I just have to remember the sound of your voice as you encouraged all of my pursuits, your energy as we walked together through the paths of the IU campus and the roads of our shared life.

I smile when I remember how devoted you were to your work, and how you dedicated all you had and all you were to their care. I smile when I remember how you said that all the work you were doing was so that you could take care of me.

I smile when I remember how we'd visit family and then practically run back to the car (or RV) and laugh to each other, "It's US!" It was wonderful to have that sharing. What a gift we gave each other!

Seventy. You would have been retired for 6 years, and we'd probably be here in Tucson now. I know that you'd smile to me about the life that I've made for myself now. While parts are not what we'd envisioned that I'd have, it's all good, and getting better. I know that my joy was all you wanted. And you knew that while joy was frequently elusive for me, I never stop trying to make it. That's another thing you've helped me with.

So Happy Birthday, Michael. I love you.
Your Janee

1 comment:

  1. Janee,
    That's such a sweet message about Michael. I understand how you feel. It's been 4 years for me since we lost our Ricky and I don't cry as often or as bad; but every so often tears will leak out i.e when I'm in my yoga class and I'll say to myself -- he's visiting me..
    I think of Micheal, you, the visit and his love for you that I witnessed.
    Stay well and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete