Monday, November 05, 2007

Getting stuff done

I began today with a to-do list as long as my arm, and now the list is down to ... well.. about half as long as my arm. Here's what I did today (the highlights): chased down the key to the knob and got into my cottage; got the thing plugged in and the water turned back on; turned on the water heater; picked up all the stuff from the middle of the living room floor (deck chairs, cooler, stuff from under the deck that we didn't want to get wrecked); vacuumed the cottage; set up my deck chairs; put the cooler and some other stuff under the deck again; and gathered up Michael's things from the cottage to take to goodwill. That was the cottage stuff.

The next big thing on the agenda was the car. Here's what I did with the car: took off the cover and the tire covers; shook them out and folded them up; hooked up the battery again (Michael had left all the appropriate tools in the glovebox); ascertained that the tires were low; aired up the tires using the air hose at the clubhouse (figured this out by myself!) and then I got set to go to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles).

I decided that, since this car is going to be in AZ, it should have AZ plates, so off I went. I told the sweet chippy at the front what I needed. She looked at my papers, hesitated, and said, "Bring me the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West!"

Well, that wasn't quite what she said, but it was close. I had to go and get my car emissions tested, and then have the car inspected before I could get my plate. So off I went, waited, and passed. Went again, waited, and passed again.

Then it was time to wait at the DMV. This place has a unique number system. They have 20 windows with clerks working, and everyone's assigned a number based (as far as I could tell) on the sort of problem you had.

So the numbers being called by the computerized voice were in seemingly random order. A127.... E905...N954...Mine was L627, and they called many L numbers interspersed with others before they got to the 620's. By the time they called mine (at least an hour), I felt like yelling "Bingo!" I got my plate and was happy.

And then I put it on! :) It was easy to do; I'm not sure why that was always Michael's job. I'm finding out that many of the things that were his job are not really difficult.

Then I took some stuff back and forth from the cottage to the RV and the RV to the cottage. At least my site for the RV is pretty close to the cottage. I hope to have everything moved and the pets and me in the cottage... tomorrow, but we'll see.

Now.. Annette, you should know that I actually have 3 sisters. There's you, and Becky, and Angie! I'm not sure, but I think that the "in-law" stuff goes away legally when there is a death. So that would make them sisters now. More love is better for everyone. And you're my only baby sister. :)

And Becky, this is your actual birthday! Yay! Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Mine,
    You are right! The "in-law" stuff goes away with a death, and the "Sister" stays. Besides, Annette is your blood sister, and unless we slash our wrists and comingle our blood we are just sisters. I really don't think the "slash your wrists and comingle the blood" is a great idea. Anything with "slash" in it can't be good. You really got alot done today. You must have been moving like a house afire. It sounds like the AZ DMV is identical to the CA DMV. Sorry I didn't call today, but from the sounds of it, you started early and went late. I'll call tomorrow.
    Love you - Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis, or should I say "busy bee." I agree with your CA sister, you have been busy. You are also very right about there being plenty of room for more love!

    I got a big kick out of your description of the BMV excursion. I also liked the comments about Michael's jobs not being so hard. We had to give them stuff to do, and it couldn't be hard stuff, because, afterall, they are just MEN, you know. :)

    Kids are good, babies are good, Nana is good, and so is Pop Pop. It sounds like Janee is good too! Take care. Love, the baby sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you do that all in one day? Caffeine? Please share your secret. The DMV alone is enough of a project. Texas has that same weird system of calling numbers, so you really have to pay attention. They provide folding chairs and a blaring soap opera on TV for entertainment. Have ice cream today, because you have earned it.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janee,

    Glad to hear you have arrived! I didn't realize you had a cottage there.....post a pic, when you get a chance.

    Best luck getting everything situated!

    Anne in CT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janee,
    sounds like you are doing well; congrats on getting so much accomplshed today.
    I am in Ohio where we have had snow flurries and it is obviously cold. It's strange how you forget how cold, cold can be!

    Our DMV is similar altho the number thing is better; but we are one of just a few counties out of 88 that have e-check. I don't know why it isn't statewide--Columbus doesn't have it.

    Today I made chocolate chip cookies in Ted's memeory; he loved it when I made them for him/
    I ate one, but think I will freeze some and give the rest away.

    keep on keeping on, one day at a time
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janee,
    Dealing with the DMV is tough the first time. After that, you will love the system that Arizona uses. The license renewal can be done totally online. I love it. No more going to the DMV. You will still have to get your car inspected every now and then, but you can choose a time when everyone else is working. And the good thing about the inspections is that their computers are tied to the state computers. So when you go online to renew your plate, the state computers already know you have passed the emission test. It is very smooth.

    So, welcome to AZ. We are in a heat wave right now. Enjoy the temps as they will probably plummet next week (to daily highs in the 70's - lol). Gotta love this wintertime weather.
    Take care - John

    ReplyDelete