Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Story of Paperclip Bend

Michael and I used to walk daily on campus -- did it for years. Well, one day, we were walking around to the south of Read Center around a bend in the sidewalk. There, on the sidewalk, were dozens of colorful paper clips! It was as if someone's backpack had been open and they just dropped out. The next day, they were still there, and the next and the next! We started calling that corner "Paper Clip Bend."

Finally, the paper clips became ground into the dirt on either side of the sidewalk and it was harder to see them. So Michael and I would bring along a few paper clips and drop them when we went around that bend. After we got back from our 3 months in Tucson in 2006, there were STILL paper clips to be seen there!

We'd be walking on other parts of campus, or anywhere, and find a paper clip on the ground. We'd smile and say, "It's trying to find its way home," and pick it up. Then, the next time we went to Paper Clip Bend, we'd drop it there.

Shortly before Michael passed away, I went walking on campus, and they had PAVED that sidewalk, entombing our paper clips forever. I had some with me and dropped them along the sidewalk there. They are probably still there. I'll drop more when I return in the summer.

So yeah.. paper clips were a big deal for us, during the last 5 years we were together. :) And now, when I find a paper clip, I pick it up, because it sort of feels like Michael has dropped it for me.

Here's a map (from Google Maps Hybrid View) showing Paper Clip Bend at the tip of my arrow. The magenta trail is a small part of Michael's and my usual route through campus.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Mine,

    Thanks for the reminder of "Paper Clip Bend". I've been there with you and Michael, and enjoyed that walk. I have a problem with maps, and this one looks like it is backwards to what I remember of "Smithwood Hall" now "Read Hall" and the side of it that the bend is on. I'll talk to you soon.
    Love you and give Maddy a treat from her Aunt.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sis:

    I love this story. I am glad you showed me where it was that day we walked and we put some clips there, too.

    It is raining, thundering, and only 40! What a blah day. Steve and I are just watching TV and not doing much else today. I did manage to go to Wal-Mart today with Lisa for an hour, but other than that and a little laundry, it has been a worthless day. I am going to play some Jumbles in a little bit. :)

    Did you get all your flights arranged? I know that is a very busy time of year for travel, so I hope you got it all lined out.

    Keep up your blog, I really enjoy it and it helps me to know how you are. :) You could call, but hey, I know I don't like the phone much either.

    Take care. Love sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. It is the small things that bind, and remain in memory, images of the simple joys of life.

    Corny but true: we pass this way but once, humans at least; perhaps paperclips reincarnate.

    bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete