Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Busy Weekend

Well, it was busy enough for me, anyway! Saturday night, I went out with Rob and Ione to Sauce where we had delicious pizza, pasta, salad, and wine.

Then we went and saw "The Great Debaters," with Denzel Washington, about the debate team at a small black college in Texas in the 1930's. If this one doesn't get some academy award nominations, there's a problem. We all loved the movie. I found myself riveted, interested in the movie at every moment. Not once did I think that it was long or even slow.

This morning I got up and walked early (for me). Today was a dark day, with heavy smoky gray clouds hanging over Tucson. So I got going early so I could beat the rain. But it didn't rain after all!

I had a salad for lunch and really enjoyed it. I've discovered the joys of raspberry vinaigrette dressing! Mmmm!

This afternoon, I went to Jill and Lee's for their open house party for Lee's 60th birthday celebration. What a fun group of people they had! I enjoyed talking with Tom, a fellow who lives at the other end of Mohave from me, and whom I'd remembered talking with last season, too. He just got back a couple of days ago.
I'm getting a bit of feedback about my decision not to do my classes. I wish I could say that I'm sorry about my decision, but... I just can't be at this point. I have to say that Michael's death really cut me off at the knees, folks. Life is just very different now. Before I had boundless creative energy, it seemed.

That was because Michael was there to absorb the shocks of life. He handled all the financial stuff. He took care of the taxes and bills. He took me out to dinner and figured out the tip. He put gas in my car, checked the oil, and made sure that the car got in for service at the recommended intervals. He encouraged me when I needed to be encouraged. And he was one of my biggest fans, even when it came to my Photoshop work. Oh.. and he did the laundry!

I am doing well now, and I'm adopting new routines. I'm keeping my bills paid, taking care of my own car, figuring out the tip, doing laundry, and I'm looking after myself. I smile at myself whenever I pass a mirror, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me! LOL! I go for whole days without crying at all. (Today has been one!) I no longer feel like there is a spotlight on me when I am out alone. And I don't feel bad when I'm out alone, or as the "three" in threesome.

But the creative spark just has not returned yet. It's a long way from changing Depends to painting flowers, I'll tell you. I'll get there, but I'm not there yet. For one thing, I have to get my big computer fixed so I can get back to using my Wacom tablet so I can paint. Man, I do miss that!

2 comments:

  1. Janee, you have been through so much in the last year -- things some people never have to deal with in a whole lifetime. I'm glad you are giving yourself a break.

    Enjoy life -- and look for a "fluff and fold" laundry.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee, I think you are doing EXTREMELY well considering the relatively short time Michael has been gone. He certainly WAS your biggest fan, as you were his! It was beautiful to see.

    Even though many of your students don't agree, giving up the PhotoShop classes for the time being seems like a wise move. You have to do what's best for you.

    Thanks for the movie recommendation. We're putting it on our list.

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete