Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Smiling in the Sunshine

Well, actually, tonight I'm smiling under the stars! Life is good!

I started the day doing unpleasant chores -- those things that I put off till I can no longer put them off. The worst of them was taking some icky stuff to the garbage. Last spring, Michael had boxed up some unused RV supplies -- hoses, electrical connectors, some gauge-type things that I don't know what they were -- into plastic lidded bins. We worked together to put the big bins into some of those huge Ziplock storage bags and we put these under our deck.

I thought nothing more about them till a few days ago, when Jack brought them out from under the deck. He was looking to see how the existing deck had been constructed. They were full... to the rim... with water! All of them! And the stuff inside was moldy and slimy, rusty and ruined. I cleaned up some of the things that I thought were salvageable, and the rest I bagged today for the trash. Gross job!

Then I unhooked my desktop computer, which will not turn on, and loaded it into the car. Pam and I went to a local computer shop and gave it to them to fix. The gentleman thought that it was likely the power supply, and, if that's the case, it'll be about $100 to fix. He's also going to clean out the inside of the puter, take out the CF card that got lost in there last winter (!), and check everything in there to see if there's any upgrading that they can sell me. That's the sort of thing that PC Max used to do for me back in Bloomington.

We then giggled our way through Goodwill before heading back home. Lunch! I was starved!

Then Ione and I went to Jones Photography to ask them about supplying us with a guest speaker for some of our FotoFun Club meetings, and they are going to be able to indulge us in fine style.

Pam and Tom were outside talking when I happened to walk by, and we had a few more giggles while Mike oiled and tightened my beater bike. Pam's after me to get myself a better bike, one for touring, so that I can get into some serious riding. I would really enjoy this, I think, and I'm stoked. Of course, the best part of this will be getting the bike and outfitting it with all the bling.

I have a gift card from Red Lobster that I am dying to use, so I asked Tom, Pam, and Mike, if they wanted to go with me. Tom was playing in a pool tournament tonight, so that was a "no." So we're going to make it sometime this weekend.

Pam and I did some laps around the park -- 5, I think, though it felt like 20. We went at a good pace, and it was actual work on that trashy bike I have. I'd like to think that it'd be easier on a better bike... I long to get into good biking condition. I do love riding, have always loved it. (Annette and Robert... remember our bike hikes to Clinton Falls? Those were the days before helmets became cool. I was the one who carried the cooler because my bike had the baskets.) :)

And then, as I was riding past John's house, I smelled delicious food! Sure, I would love to join you. Life doesn't get much better than that! Well.. that is, till later tonight when the phone rang...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janee,

    I know you will enjoy biking much more if you get a new (or new to you) bike which fits you really well. It is great fun to have new toys but the weight and fit of your bike is really important to how comfortable and easy it is to ride.

    I use to ride all the time (no car by choice). Then I gained weight, had back surgery and both knees replaced. I thought I would never ride again (too risky). A few months ago I started working with a personal trainer (Dave, the trainer monster) who has given me my life back. I am taking my bike in to be cleaned, checked and tuned up next week. By then I'll be back on the bike and loving it.

    BettyB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So who was on the phone?????

    ReplyDelete