Friday, February 22, 2008

Some Nifty Shortcuts

This morning first thing was Computer Club, and Jack (same Jack) did a fine presentation on shortcuts in MS Word. Here are just a few of the ones that he told us about. I am just giving you the ones that I remember, without looking at the handout. These are ones that I didn't know before, too!

  • Ctrl-E centers the line of text where you are.
  • Ctrl-L left-justifies.
  • Ctrl-R right-justifies.
  • Shift-F3 will capitalize the word where your cursor is. If you hit Shift-F3 again, it'll capitalize the whole word. Once again, and you're back to all small letters.
  • Ctrl-[ makes the font for the coming word smaller.
  • Ctrl-] makes the font for the coming word larger.
  • Ctrl-S saves your file. (I knew this one!)
Another nifty shortcut that I just learned for Vista is this: When you have the sidebar covered (not always on top), you can make it visible by using the Windows key with the Spacebar. Clicking whatever program was on top of it again will make the sidebar disappear back to the background.

If your Windows Sidebar is always on top, and you don't want it to be, you can right-click anywhere on the sidebar (except on a Gadget), and choose Properties. Always on top means that the Sidebar will always be on top of other programs. I'd rather have it so that my other programs are on top, till I want to see my Gadgets. Then I use Windows-Spacebar to bring the Gadgets to the fore. Handy!

My Gadgets include 3 weather panes -- one for each of 3 zipcodes in the country, the clock, calendar, slideshow of some of my photos (which I can change easily), and a post-it style note where I keep a to-do list.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm, Janee mentioned photos. Hmmmmm, now why does that remind me of the word "deck". Hehe. Just playin' with ya! Have a good time today.
    ~Jim~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim: I totally agree, where oh where are the pictures!!

    Ok, sis, you need to give your fans what they want, bring on the pictures. You can only hold us in suspense so long. :)

    We are enjoying the snow and ice we have had for the last several days NOT. Lisa and I were almost in a really bad accident yesterday. Lisa was driving and this idiot swerved and came right at us in another lane. Lisa handled it very well, but with the slick roads, it was almost out of her control. We ended up in the ditch, but it was a flat ditch. After she got herself together, we just drove out. It could have been so much worse. The idiot in the van just went on and never stopped to see if we were fine!!

    Well, my dog is being a pain, so I guess she is wanting to go outside and sniff the snow. Chat with you later. Love, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sister Mine,

    I also agree with the others about seeing the pics of the deck, but I LOVE the hints on shortcuts. I've never figured out the shortcut thing, and can't remember them even if I could remember.

    I'm going home on Monday to continue my travels to Hawaii. Wish you were coming, but I know that you'll have a great time with Dave. I hope I'll have a chance to meet him someday. Give him my best wishes.

    Love you, and treats for the animals!

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janee, I loved your lesson in shortcuts for MS Word. Dan and I used Word Perfect for many, many years, and I am always finding an excuse to not switch over entirely to Word. I KNOW I need to do it.

    We got back to Florida on Thursday, and after two days I am finally getting accustomed to NOT being hit with a blast of cold air every time I go outside. We got out of town just in time to miss that terrible ice storm.

    I agree with the others that it would be nice to see pictures. You have us all spoiled, so now we have expectations.

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your Word and especially your Vista tips were very helpful. Thanks, Janee.

    Maxine (PSNovice)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janee,

    It has been a LONG time since I emailed you. Plenty of things happening. I just read a couple of your blog entries from this past week....sounds like you are having fun and being busy!

    Bob and I made two trips to San Francisco....one in November for our older son's wedding and then we went back for Christmas. We had a great time...took the boys and their girls to a house we rented for a few days up in wine country.....what a pleasant, relaxing time we had! --- Bob had surgery Feb. 12....removal of his spleen, his gall bladder, a small amount of stomach, along with several of his GIST tumors. He's been home now for a week and he is doing great! He is eating well, sleeping well....today was his first "outing" since the surgery. We took a short drive to a friend's house and visited for an hour. It was good for him to get out, but he was pooped when we got back home! ---- We still have our plans for visiting in Tucson over my April vacation. By then it ought to be nice and warm there, right?

    Drop me a quick email if you feel like it!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete