Sunday, June 15, 2008

Surprises in the Attic

Yeah! Today I tackled the attic. Steve and Annette were here helping me. I was the one IN the attic, Steve caught the stuff as I pitched it to him, and Annette caught it and arranged it when he pitched it to her. There was a TON of junk up there.

I would like to tell anyone who has an attic to go tomorrow and get all of the stuff out of there, and vow to never ever put anything into your attic again. There was almost nothing there that I ever want to see again, and I would bet that your attic is the same way. If you're not using it now, you'll never use it.

So what was in my attic? The only things I kept were a box of mementos from my childhood/high school years, some art supplies that I'll take to Teachers' Warehouse, and some good bakery trays and such that I'll sell on ebay.

The junk? Four years of lesson plans and photocopies of tests and projects. Photocopied graph paper and dot paper. Photocopied mazes. Tons and tons of photocopied puzzles to have students make.

And the bakery stuff... I had probably 200 large catering trays -- the kind you'd put carrots and celery on -- with lids. Of course these were unusable, because they are plastic and dirty. Cardboard rounds for cakes. Again, opened boxes, and therefore unusable. Boxes for cakes... hundreds upon hundreds. And Pyrex pie plates.. Michael if you're reading my blog, you are laughing down on me I hope! I expect there were 80 or 100 more pie plates.

There was a nice Cambro coffee server, three beautiful plexiglass covered catering trays, a punchbowl with a million glass punch cups, and some pretty cut plexiglass serving trays, upon which sat a myriad cookies in their time.

And there were two old computer monitors, including my very first monitor -- amber -- which was very cutting-edge in 1985. An Okidata printer. A Leading Edge computer, which was an early IBM PC clone. Christmas stuff .. tons of it.

So today I spent hours up there, sweat dripping off of me, working by the light of a battery-operated Coleman lantern, gritty sawdusty stuff on the plywood planks that line the attic, cobwebs.. throwing these boxes to Steve to Annette... it was awful. But it's all done now. The attic is empty.

I should have taken a before and after photo of the attic. But instead, I'll show you a scene from my RV today. You're looking at the front of the RV, where my driver's seat is. The passenger's seat is swiveled around and that's where I'm sitting now, as I type. The windshield and side windows are covered with insulating covers that stick on with suction cups, and do an excellent job of keeping the coach cool in hot weather. The overcab bed is in its usual "up" position, and Eddie's in his usual napping position:

1 comment:

  1. I'm just being nosy, but why don't you post pictures of all the people that you talk about. Especially the ones that are being so helpful. I'd like to see your friends.

    Love you, J

    ReplyDelete