Friday, March 27, 2009

Beef Barley Soup

This soup was great and was a huge hit at our church Soup Supper a couple of weeks ago. One of you wrote to me for this recipe so here it is. This has been slightly changed from a recipe that we found in Taste of Home:


Beef Barley Soup
(12 servings)

Cook till meat is cooked through. Then drain:

1.3 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
3 stalks celery, sliced

Add all of these:

3 cans (10.5 oz ea) condensed beef consomme
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can ( 28 oz) diced tomatoes
4 carrots, sliced
2 C water
1/2 C medium pearl barley

Bring to a boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.

Enjoy this! We did!

This day was good for us. We began it with a breakfast of cereal with strawberries, assembled our laundry, and took it over to the laundry room. After we started it, we went to the "Show and Tell" in the Fiesta Room. This is an event featuring the arts and crafts of some very talented and busy people here in our Village. I was particularly intrigued by the turned wooden bowls, but we escaped without buying anything.

We finished the laundry and got it home and put away. Then we worked on plans for the spice rack that we're building into one of our very small cabinets in the kitchen. We went to Lowe's and looked at materials and left there with some neat little wire racks and wood to put it all together. We'd have the job done, except that the wood shop is closed, and .. they can't get the lock unlocked! I'll have photos when we have something photographable.

Then tonight, we went over to John's, where his wife MaryAnn fixed us all a fabulous dinner of chicken parmesan, spaghetti, salad, and strawberry shortcake. Yummy! Before dinner, we had margaritas and beer, and a nice Riesling went with dinner. Then we all watched "Click." I'd loved the movie before and we all loved it this time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Sis...I don't do soup, but I am sure it is great. We got our tile done and we are just still trying to get all the crap cleaned up...the tile is clean, but the floor is a mess from all the stomping around back and forth to the garage.

    Oh, the things I could do with this house if I had a few bucks! HA. The next project is painting the family room and the kitchen, but I still can't make up my mind if I want to paint them the same color or different colors. But, I will get there soon...maybe even today. :)

    I am still waiting for Jack to build me a deck and something to shade some of the sun. We also want to fence the backyard, but that is a lot of work and a few thousand. Stuff just costs too darn much!

    Bob and Molly are coming down this way about mid-April for some family visiting (Molly's family) and are hoping to have time to come by this way. We will try to at least meet up for an hour or two, but they have a pretty busy agenda while they are here.

    Work is going ok and I am getting along a bit better with the boss - more because I have to than because I want to, but whatever the reason.

    Well, this is YOUR blog, so I better shut up and go now. Chat with you soon. Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Janee .... were you born with a cookbook in your hand? Enjoying your blog. Best wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, Sis and Jim!
    I love the comments! Jim, I have loved collecting recipes since I first started cooking when Michael and I were first married.

    Jack and I do want to do your deck and pergola, Annette, and, provided the future unfolds as I'm thinking that it might, it'll happen for us. The future's just a little hazy right now, so I'm afraid to make any firm predictions.

    Cool that Robert & Molly are coming to see you. I'm sure that y'all will make the most of your time. :)

    ReplyDelete