Saturday, January 12, 2013

Your Breakfast Cereal Will Do You In Faster Than That Apple Pie

I think that would be a good title for a book or an article or something. I wish someone would ask me to write it. I guess, in the mainstream of writing/publishing, they don't actually email you out of the blue and offer to pay you to write something. That's the way I came into all my Photoshop writing, back in the day.

But, the truth is, that it IS your breakfast cereal that will make you fat. Why? Because your breakfast cereal is your habit. It's what you do every day.

What I was doing was pouring myself a heaping bowl of something healthy, like Raisin Bran. It was "a bowl," so it was ok, or so I thought. And, even a cursory reading of the nutrition label verified that it was, while not great, still ok. A serving of Raisin Bran is 190 calories, and off we go.

But a closer look shows us that a "serving," for which we get a mere 190 calories, (230 with 1/2 C of skim milk) is one cup. I was easily pouring a cup and a half into my bowl every morning. That, along with the skim milk, gave me a calorie load of 345 calories. That is a difference of 115 calories.

No big deal? Thirty days -- one short month -- of that, and you're taking in an extra 3450 calories, which is a whole pound. Still no big deal? In a year, that's 12 extra pounds that you didn't even know you were getting, because you were just having your healthy cereal.

Now, when I compare this situation to that slice of apple pie you had last night, I am looking at the apple pie as a treat. It's not something that you are habitually eating. One slice of apple pie (again, looking closely at serving size) could be anything, but I'll say 325, one of the 1/8 of a pie readings offered by MyFitnessPal.com. You'd have to have 10.6 slices of pie to make up that 3450 calories we piled on just by having that big bowl of Raisin Bran every morning! Surprised? I am!

So treat treats as treats. And make sure your habits are really healthy ones, and that you're not fooling yourself into extra weight!

And, with this said, I'm back on myfitnesspal as of today. I don't want to turn this now 6 pound weight gain into anything bigger. I'm done buying new clothes for awhile! If YOU want to start watching YOUR weight go down, join me on myfitnesspal.com. My user name on there is myjanee, and I'll be your friend there, if you want.

Did I mention that Jack and I went to Anthony's in the Catalinas last evening? What a fine dinner that was! I feasted royally of Hawaiian Sunfish, a perfect risotto, sauteed herbed vegetables, and, oh yes, bread and butter, and.. oh yes, 6 crackers with a most delicious salmon mousse! I did not have dessert there, but I did have a piece of Jack's homemade apple pie when I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment