Friday, April 16, 2010

Blooms

These flowers are some of the lovelies that grace the roadway beside our friends David & Linda's cottage: Today began at oh-dark-thirty for me. I was up at 5:30 am -- and I had not been really sure that there WAS a 5:30 in the MORNING! I did my Wii, got ready, had a nice breakfast, and was there to take Jack to his PT appointment by 7:40. We got into some traffic, but still made it on time.

Next, I went to Walgreens to see about filling the prescription for Asmanex, a drug prescribed by my doc here. $158 for a month. Wha- wha- wha? I walked. I'll see if I can't find another way to control this stupid disease. I can't believe that. Of course, when I used to have insurance that would pay for my medicines, I just went ahead and got whatever it was, happily paid my $15 or $30 co-pay and didn't even read that top line where it told how much the stuff really was. Sheesh.

Next, we went to Jack's house to wait for the guys from St. Vincent DePaul to come to pick up the nice sleeper sofa that he had, which he wanted to donate. Waited and waited. They did finally come and the place is much bigger now.

Then Jack installed my new kitchen sink and faucet! I got a beautiful stainless steel sink and faucet with a sprayer and .. I love it! It was a huge job and Jack doesn't like being under sinks, but he did fine work!

8 comments:

  1. Good for you Jack on a job well done!!!

    ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so funny..I'm a late person also..

    I assume the new med is a predisone inhaller, and there are some that have been around and are much cheaper. I use Asmacort.

    Good luck, because I still don't have control of mine when spring comes, and I have been trying for years.

    Dona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janee,
    What's $158 for medication when you can buy a new RV and new car?

    Why not have some health insurance? Isn't your health more important?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.consumerreports.org/health/best-buy-drugs/steroid_asthma.ht----try this to help you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janee, I was checking out Asmanex online, and the home page for Asmanex has a coupon for free for first time users...

    Dona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janee...did I understand you correctly that you DON'T have insurance?? or is that your insurance doesn't cover prescriptions? As people age, they tend to need more prescriptions. I was under the assumption that you are fairly well off, so I didn't think that money would be the issue. Medicare coverage is a ways away. Don't sell your health short...sometimes over the counter meds are not going to do the job that prescriptions can. Asthma isn't something that you want to try to treat on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new sink and stuff. Now dishwashing will be fun -- or something. Good for you for balking over the high-priced drug. Last year when I had that lung infection, the 28-day inhalable antibiotic cost over $4,000. Thank goodness for BC-BS, because two rounds were needed.

    Your flower pix are bee-youtiful!

    Love,
    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone, for the caring comments about my asthma. Yes, it is true that health is the most important thing. I do have health insurance, but I opted out of the one that would help me out with prescriptions, because it was several hundred more dollars every month. Because I don't take any prescriptions at this time, it makes sense for me to "self insure" for prescriptions.

    I have actually gotten the asthma under control in the past few days with a simple lifestyle change: closing the windows and turning on the A/C. Oh, and I replaced my filter for the AC, too, before you ask. ;)

    Certainly, I have means enough to shell out some clams for meds, should they become something that I really need. Or I could upgrade my insurance policy. For now, though, I'm going to keep walking this fine line.

    I really think that this cough and feeling horrible and weak for a few days was just an acute thing -- like a cold or maybe even Valley Fever -- something that AZ folks and travelers here can get. I'm feeling way way way better now. I'm back to getting high scores on the Wii Fit Plus. :)

    ReplyDelete