Wednesday, October 31, 2007

APRS and me

Many of you know about the "Where is Janee now" link on this blog. It's over there -----> on the right, under Links. If you click that, it will take you to my FindU page with a map of where I was last spotted. Clicking the Satellite view gives my favorite look at things, because you see the terrain and roads!

Here's where I am tonight, Halloween 2007!

So what IS this and how do I do it? This is done through magic. LOL not really! It is actually an application of amateur radio, married to internet technology. It's called APRS, which stands for Automatic Position Reporting System.

In order to use this, you have to be a licensed amateur radio operator with a call sign. (Mine is KC9JNE, and yes, that is a vanity call sign!) You have to take a test, and it's easy enough that I could pass it. You don't have to know Morse code anymore, either.

So what happens is this: The radio is hooked on one end to an antenna, which is on the side of the RV. On the other end, it's hooked to a GPS unit. For this, I use a really old one that isn't even in color -- not my Jack whom I use to figure out where I'm going.

I program the radio with my call sign and put it on the proper frequency, which happens to be 144.390. I tell it how often to beacon my position, and what message to send out with my position.

And then this message, called a packet, goes out to all the other APRS stations. Some of these stations are called I-Gates -- internet portals! These stations broadcast my position then to the internet, to FindU, and maybe other sites, as well.

Of course, the information is nearly always a little bit outdated, so you can't exactly watch my RV going across the country, but the information you get is cool and fun. Not only can you see where I am, but what altitude and how fast I'm going.

So the big deal today is that I actually had to do some setup work to get this working again. Michael had the radio set to his call sign, but, with him gone, I couldn't legally transmit under his call sign. So I had to change it to my call sign, change the outgoing message, and then update the links in my site.

I did all of this yesterday and today and now it's working! YAY! If you go there tonight, you can see the campground where I'm staying! (LOL I've been so excited about this that I realize that I have not yet had supper, and it's after 7 and dark out!) :D

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Mine,

    Thanks for the call. Sorry about the interruption with the trick or treaters. I checked your "where am I now" site, and I actually saw your? motorhome. At least, it was labled as yours. WELL DONE!!!

    I think I through answering the door now, as it is almost 8:30, and I don't see anymore kids on the street.

    Love you and I'll talk to you again tomorrow.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, I am back to anonymous...can't get my password to stick

    I am impressed with what you can do with all your hardware and software. You are way too smart.

    I am working from home - well, Lisa's this afternoon. I sort of have a stomach ache, so didn't want to run to the potty at work all the time. :)

    Chat with you later. Love you. Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janee,

    Every few days I check in.....I'm not sure about this thing of seeing where you are....I got a google map...not a aerial photo or anything. At any rate, you appear to be near Lubbock, TX. This is such fun!

    Hope you figured out some other things to eat besides pizza!

    Anne in CT

    ReplyDelete