Thursday, November 01, 2007

Traveling across West Texas

I've always loved Texas and today I love Texas even more than I remembered. As I drove from Sanger (near Denton which is just north of Dallas) to Lubbock today, I traversed beautiful countryside.

There were miles and miles of cotton fields which always amaze me. Many of these fields are the round kind with the irrigation arm that circles around. It seems funny to me that cotton needs water at all. I mean.. it's a fiber! I wondered, seeing these miles upon miles of white fields, how many times I've seen cotton fields from the air and just assumed that it was snow on the fields!

Another thing that I wondered about is those crosses that you see alongside the road, indicating that someone died there. I wonder why there are only crosses. Do people of other persuasions just not mark the highways in this way? Or are Christians worse drivers than others? I don't think that this particular sort of display is a very good advertisement for Christianity. ;)

I took these photos along Hwy 114 at a rest stop. You will likely not see so much of me in my photos from here on out.


Tonight I'm at the Lubbock RV Park, just north of the city. Michael and I had stayed here twice in the big blue RV. The guy didn't remember me, though. I love the place with its big level sites and a field full of prairie dogs! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janee,
    It is so fun to follow your travels; how many miles will the trip actually be. Makes me want to jump in my car, leave Ohio and go see my brother and his family in San Antonio.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen....reading your blog lately makes me long for a road trip! Thanks for posting the pics!

    Anne in CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janee, you are hilarious! I've promised a friend that if she gets killed because she won't wear her glasses, I will erect the cheesiest roadside memorial ever seen. I know many of them are based on heartbreak, but hers would be based on whatever plastic flowers are on sale at Wal-Mart. I hope the Lord doesn't strike me dead for that thought.

    Cotton crops that look white from the air have been sprayed with exfoliant. Scary, huh?

    Continue your safe trip

    Opinionatedly,
    L

    ReplyDelete