Saturday, November 03, 2007

Photos from Bottomless Lakes State Park

Good evening from Deming, New Mexico! I'm parked at an RV park that would be great, if only the roads were paved. There are people here who full-time and winter here, but ... I wouldn't winter full-time in a park where the roads are not paved.

I found out what the deal was with my water leak! It didn't leak at all last night, and I was not hooked up to the water there. Instead, I used my water pump and the water from my freshwater tank. Sometime during the night it occurred to me that something between the spigot and the RV was the problem -- the water pressure regulator! I remembered that Michael would replace ours from time to time because they would "go bad." I never knew what that meant -- how some brass fitting thing would "go bad," but ... evidently that's what happened.

I got a new one here at this campground and .. tada! No more leaks! I asked the guy here how the leak could fix itself, and he explained that sometimes when the pressure is too high, the fittings inside the coach sort of stretch a bit, and leak. Then, when the pressure's normalized, the fittings reseat themselves. Sounds odd, but I'll take it!

The drive here was beautiful. I love the scenery and terrain between here and Roswell, along NM 70, following the Hondo Valley for part of the way, then going up into the mountains by Ruidoso. Just lovely. I drove past White Sands National Monument, not stopping this time. I will again. Just not today. I also did not stop in Alamogordo, another of Michael's and my favorite spots. I will again. Just not today. :)

As I drive, I think about a lot of things. Some things I see make me laugh. Today, going down highway 380 in eastern NM, the speed limit was 75. Sure, the road was good, straight and long, but 75? And then we came to a little town and there was a school crosswalk marked. The sign for the crosswalk warned us to slow... to 55! LOL these must be some hardy kids around here!

Another thing that made me laugh: Coming through Las Cruces, NM, I saw a company's sign: Freedom Fence. Huh? :D

Coming from Roswell to the mountains from the east, I counted 11 squashed skunks. Then, on the western drive from the mountains, I counted 15 squashed rabbits. This counts only the ones that I could tell what they were, without like... getting out to look. And I didn't see any skunks on the western side of the mountains. And there were no rabbits on the eastern side!

Ok, I have pics from the Bottomless Lakes State Park! Be sure to click them to see them bigger.

Becky, this first one is for you. There was this plane doing skywriting....
:)

This is my RV at the campground:


Maddy and me doing our little hike... and some photos from the trail:


Lazy Lagoon -- one of the Bottomless Lakes:



6 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Janee! You are such an adventurer. Glad you tracked down that leak. Of course Michael figured it out. As an OB-gyn, leaky plumbing was not unusual in his line of work.

    Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janee

    Great Pics! This reminds my so uch of my Great Road Trip of 2004, taken 2 months after Terry died. I also used Blogspot every night to let people know I was O.K. and where I was. I did not have all the fancy high tech stuff you have though.

    I love that you are eating stuff that you did not have for so long...I did that too!

    The one thing I also did was to keep a log on my Blog of daily mileage and accumulated total miles. People seemed to enjoy seeing the miles mount up!

    Keep on Keepin on, girl~

    Barb P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sister Mine,

    Thanks for the B.D. greetings in the sky! What a neat picture. I saved it to my hard drive so that I'll always have it. Well, "always" until the thing crashes. The photos are beautiful. I'm glad you got the leak fixed. I'll call again today.
    Love you - Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want you to know that I follow you along your journey. I am amazed how you handle the Navion all by yourself. I traveled alone on the autoban from Frankfurt, through Southern Germany, Black Forest, Lake Constance into Austria, Luxemberg, etc. in 1986, exactly at your age now. That was, to me, a survival test.
    You must be experiencing all kinds of emotions during this 1st trip without Michael.
    Have a safe and fun trip.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Janee,

    I'm glad you posted a pic of your RV. I had been wondering what it looked like. I'm also really enjoying the other pics too!

    We're leaving Weds for San Fran to attend our older son's wedding, but I'm going to try to check in on your "journal" during the week.

    Good journey!
    Anne in CT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete