Monday, October 29, 2007

On the Road

Hey there, everyone!
I did it! I got the little Navion packed up, tossed the dog and cat in, and headed off down the highway! I actually left on my birthday, the 25th of October. I stayed 2 nights outside George & Angie's house, spending the day of the 26th shopping with Angie and Becky. We all had a great time and they bought me a shirt and a sweater. I also bought a jacket with a zip-out vest.

So I left Louisville on Saturday morning, driving till I got to Decatur, Alabama -- about 300 miles. The Point Mallard Campground was lovely -- wooded and packed with campers. I did get a beautiful little site tucked away by myself, though, and I was happy. I walked that evening around the little neighborhood near there.

On Sunday, I walked again in Decatur, this time down to the Tennessee River. Then I drove another 300 miles, ending up in Jackson, Mississippi at the Springridge RV Park. It is an urban park and I got just a tiny site right next to the bathhouse/laundry room. It was a lovely evening, though, so I took out my green chair, tied Maddy to it, grabbed a beer and a bag of Doritoes and just had a time! Supper was frozen pizza which I cooked in my MW/convection oven. It turned out great! I watched the Red Sox win their last game to secure their 2nd World Series title in the past 80 years (or something like that). Exciting game, too!

Today's Monday the 29th, and I enjoyed it. I walked around the campground in Jackson, Mississippi to start the day. Then I showered and breakfasted and unhooked, before heading back down the highway. I stopped a few times, enjoying the beautiful weather every time. Maddy loves to stop at rest areas and walk around, so I gave her that opportunity a few times. I stopped at the Pecanland Mall in Monroe, Louisiana, and had lunch there. I also found (!) my Orange/Ginger products at the Bath & Body Works! Yay!

Tonight I'm at Shreveport, Louisiana at the KOA. It is a beautiful place and I'm happy. I was sitting outside, just soaking up the ambience, when Sylvia and Char from across the road called out for me to come over there. Maddy was with me, too, so she came along and got to meet Sylvia's dogs. :) We talked a bit and then Sylvia was telling me about this great catfish place up the street. I told her that, if she'd drive, I'd buy her dinner, so off we went. But it was closed, alas.

I heated pizza (from last night) and ate that for supper, and then, along comes Sylvia, with pot roast, potatoes, and peas! I told her that I'd have that for supper tomorrow. Many campers are special people. I've decided that I'm actually going to stay here another night, too. I may take the RV into town a little, just to explore a bit, and to get some groceries.

So I'm having a good time of it! I have not had any problems. The hooking and unhooking stuff is really easy. LOL I guess I could say that I do have ONE problem. I can't figure out how to turn on the radio on the dashboard. I have figured out how to play CD's, though, so I have been listening to CD's. I will consult the manual on my "off day" tomorrow and learn that.

I am online using my new Verizon thing. They have WiFi at the park, but I wanted to try out my Verizon card instead. It works great!

The other big accomplishment of the day is that I made myself a new "cozy" for my bluetooth phone earpiece. It makes lots of noise to people I talk to when the wind is blowing, so I had a foam piece I fashioned for the end of it. But it got lost when i was walking around near the Tennessee River at Point Mallard. So this time, I got a bigger piece of foam and hollowed it out so that I could stick the bluetooth device down in there. The part that hooks onto my ear and the receiver part that's against my ear is not inside the foam. It looks sort of .. err... funny, but it works, so there we are. Next move for me will be to get a Jawbone. I saw one today at the mall and... yowza, it's cool! Red! Wooo hooo!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Janee! Sounds good! I just happened to jump online before heading off to bed....read your journal entry. I'm SO glad you are enjoying your trip so far! I look forward to your next entry.

    Anne in CT

    ReplyDelete