Friday, November 02, 2007

Bottomless Lakes?

Hi, everyone!
My "Where is Janee now" link is saying tonight that I made it only as far as western Lubbock, but I went farther than that! I actually made it to close to Roswell, New Mexico. The APRS link updates only if I get my signal out to a station that sends it to the internet, and stations are not as common out here.

The drive was beautiful! Almost the moment that I crossed the TX-NM border, the terrain changed dramatically. Suddenly, the cotton fields gave way to stubby cholla bushes, blue-green sagebrush, and yuccas. The ground is still that west-Texas red, and that will continue on across NM. The topography is still pretty flat, but there are a few small hills. For most of the way, I could see for miles out to the horizon, cricket oil pumps bobbing rhythmically -- hundreds of them. (For a photo of a cricket pump, see this link: http://poljunk.gloriousnoise.com/images/oil_pump.jpg )

I stopped at Wal*Mart and got diesel (2.99 a gallon) and got just over 15 mpg, a little less than my overall average. While I was there, I went in and got peanut butter, granola bars, and .. LOL.. bologna! It had been years since I'd had bologna, since Michael didn't like it. I enjoyed 2 slices for lunch and Mmmm! I loved it. :) Yes, I realize that I'm eating badly. I'll have plenty of time to get into better habits later.

Tonight I'm parked at Bottomless Lakes State Park, just east of Roswell, NM. The lakes are odd, because there doesn't seem to be any other water in this area. These lakes were formed from sinkholes, which were formed by dissolving of salt and gypsum deposits under the ground. When the ground collapsed, water filled in the sinkholes and made lakes -- very pretty lakes! I'll go walking with Maddy around here tomorrow morning.

(By the way, I still have not missed any days of doing my walks. Some people have wondered how I manage to do this every day, even while Michael was sick and I was caring for him. I just DO it!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Mine,

    I'm glad to know where you are, as I checked your "where am I now" site, and I knew that you were not still in Texas. I haven't been to the bottomless lakes. Take pictures. It was good talking to you this AM. I'll hold off until later tomorrow. Also, I love bologna, too.
    Love - from Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis:

    Sounds like you are in some lovely country. You will be glad to know that it is going to be a high here next week of 35! You got out just in time.

    Steve and I are enjoying a quiet weekend doing housework...no kids.

    Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete