Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Madera Canyon

Today I awoke and lept out of bed, only to be tossed right back by the searing pain shooting through my ankle! Yikes! Jack and I showered and dressed and we headed off to the ER. Just a couple of hours later, I left there with a diagnosis (it's not broken.) a wrap, and a shiny new pair of crutches. I have to stumble around like that for just a couple of days, probably. Since this is my first time with crutches (I'm one of the lucky ones!), I had a hard time getting used to them, but I did not fall, anyway.

We went to The Good Egg where we enjoyed a sumptuous breakfast feast. Then we came home, got our pie, and Jack drove us to Madera Canyon. This is a pleasant drive, about 40 minutes, down Nogales Highway. The park is beautiful, about a mile high, in the Santa Rita mountains with alligator pinions, manzanitas, and beautiful golden grasses.

This lovely setting is where the Hiking Club held its end-of-year picnic, and, even though we did miss the hike in the Santa Ritas this morning, the camaraderie and food were quite wonderful. I was able to stumble around in the rocks and dirt with my crutches, and got to tell lots of people what had happened to me. Sheesh. Again, everyone loved my pie. Jack went around and gave pieces to some of our friends. :)

Ray, I forgot to tell you that the spot where I set Michael's ashes free actually DOES have antennas right there. As the highest spot on the highest mountain, there is an antenna farm right behind where I let the ashes go!

Annette, I do so hope that Steve has a speedy and complete recovery, and that you have a good sleep tonight!

And all of the rest of you in the east and north, I hope that you're keeping warm... and dry! This winter seems like one that will never end for you. And here I am with 72° and "severe clear" weather for the umpteenth day in a row!

2 comments:

  1. Monroe county set a new record today. 76 degrees. Enjoy the pie (sniff, sniff)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for Mike. When Millard passed one of the comments some people made and that I agreed with is that the one thing not perfect about his resting place is that there was not an antenna there.

    If ever get by there I may have to have you show it to me ;-)

    Do watch being on the crutches. They actually generally work very well, and it is harder than one might think to fall on them. BUT the it sure is easy to over do on them, and wake up the next morning feeling like your arm pits and arms have a third degree internal sun burn. (I did that my first time :-) )

    Ray kb9lgs

    ReplyDelete